What do most audiophiles listen too?
Jan 22, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #76 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally agree, but I don't completely agree. I'm as addicted as the next person to that awesome feeling of listening to an outstanding recording, but I find that a magical musical performance, poorly recorded, will trump a sterile performance, beautifully recorded, anytime. I listen to a lot of older rock n roll and blues, from the 50s and 60s. There is something unfathomably great about the original Chuck Berry sessions on Chess, or the original Hank Williams Sr. stuff. I always seem to prefer the original vinyl to CD reissues of stuff like that, even if I recognize intellectually that the CDs, with the benefit of sensitively handled re-mastering, can technically sound much better.

That's why I qualified my original comment with "all other things held equal."
wink.gif
If you had to choose between two recordings that you valued equally, with one having great sound quality and the other having poor sound -- most people would choose the better sounding recording. If you would choose differently, and I don't honestly believe that you would, then you are probably a rare exception. Similarly, I think the number of people who shop for music they don't much care for save for the fact that it is wonderfully recorded is very small...perhaps as few as zero.

--Jerome

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #77 of 110
I voted for rock and jazz. I mainly listen to rock, but there are certain types of jazz I love. I also listen to a lot of acoustic music as well as indie rock.

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #78 of 110
there's plenty in each genre that sounds good if it's well recorded. I would have added (to jazz, rock, classical etc) some other things - electronica, folk, avantgarde (etc - btw my iTunes lists 74 genres in my library, what a joke). in the end those are all just store-labels and few people shy away from crossing such fictional boundaries, whether they're "audiophiles" or not

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #79 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I qualified my original comment with "all other things held equal."
wink.gif
If you had to choose between two recordings that you valued equally, with one having great sound quality and the other having poor sound -- most people would choose the better sounding recording.

Oh, of course...I guess I kind of missed your point (WHAT? ME? NEVER!!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similarly, I think the number of people who shop for music they don't much care for save for the fact that it is wonderfully recorded is very small...perhaps as few as zero.

On this one we'll have to agree to disagree. This is certainly a minority of listeners (and the ones I've encountered tended to be waaaaay obsessive compulsive), but I have actually run into such people. The big tip off is the relative size of the rig and the record collection. $20K worth of gear and maybe 150 LPs and/or CDs? Dead giveaway.

Perhaps they don't buy music they actively dislike, I'll give you that, but they will reject music they like if the recording doesn't meet their stratospheric standards.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #80 of 110
Wat!?! No Punk Rock.... Shame on you :p

I listen to a variety actually, Just my main listening is Alternative/Punk Rock and Electro/Electronica.
beyersmile.png

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #85 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things currently being listened to a lot (loosely ordered from most to least listened to):
Guster
Barenaked Ladies
Porcupine Tree
Pink Floyd
Santana
My Morning Jacket
Explosions in the Sky
Led Zeppelin
Days of The New
Mogwai
Garbage
Blackfield
The White Stripes
Brubeck, JJ Johnson, Davis, etc
Metalwood
Medeski Martin and Wood
Norah Jones
Fiona Apple
Imogen Heap
Kaki King
Cream
I've got a couple Sigur Ros albums and a Godspeed: You Black Emperor album and am probably going to get more of both but I need to listen more.

csroc - We have very similar musical interests. I'm listening to nearly all of those same artists. Here's a few more: Radiohead, Fleet Foxes, Ratatat, Benevento Russo Duo, deadmau5, The Black Angels, Tobacco, and STS9 to name a few.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #86 of 110
music is the best.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #87 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard Dark Side of the Moon? Wish you Were Here? Animals? These are some of the best recorded music ever, and are some of the best albums to test your gear with.

Well, I think DSOM is an exceptional recording. Wish you were here does a lot of fun sonic tricks, but I don't think its a phenomenal recording. And Animals has never sounded that great to me. The Wall is better sounding than either WYWH or Animals - from an audiophile perspective.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think DSOM is an exceptional recording. Wish you were here does a lot of fun sonic tricks, but I don't think its a phenomenal recording. And Animals has never sounded that great to me. The Wall is better sounding than either WYWH or Animals - from an audiophile perspective.

i don't even think DSOM is that fantastic. it's fine for what they did... cramming overdub after overdub onto it. but it doesn't sound "real" or "natural," it sounds like a nifty recording by a bunch of talented guys on acid.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #89 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't even think DSOM is that fantastic. it's fine for what they did... cramming overdub after overdub onto it. but it doesn't sound "real" or "natural," it sounds like a nifty recording by a bunch of talented guys on acid.

This is a very interesting issue. With the advent of electric and electronic instruments, and the rise of the recording-studio-as-instrument, an entirely separate aesthetic has been created, it seems to me. The Beatles famously stopped touring because, among other reasons, what they were doing in the studio could not, at the time, be reproduced on stage. They used the studio as an additional instrument, and created sounds and mixes that simply can't be reproduced with untreated acoustic instruments.

Contrast that with the recording of acoustic instruments in a traditional setting. The goal in recording acoustic instruments is to reproduce, as closely as possible, the sound of an unadulterated live performance. When that is done well, the results can be glorious, and represent one ideal to which performers, engineers, and listeners can aspire. I don't think one approach is better than the other. They are simply different.

But electronics instruments and the wealth of technology in the modern studio offer possiblities that just aren't available to say, a bluegrass band or a jazz piano trio. That does not mean that electronic music can't be every bit as well recorded, and as sonically rewarding, as a beautifully executed recording of a Haydn quartet.

I think what I've just written in not in the least controversial. What I think is less well understood is how much electronics have transformed LIVE performance. When you go to a live venue, even a small club, every musician on stage is mic'ed through a sound system. The results are often shaped by the sound system and the choices made by the house engineer as much as by the sounds of the musicians on stage.

Think about it. When you go to a medium-sized club, there are generally two big speaker arrays, one on each side of the stage, and maybe some additional cabinets suspended above the proscenium. You are typically hearing absolutely zero from the instruments themselves, uninfluenced by the sound system. The instruments and the electronics are fused into a composite sound. I would call that electronic music, even if the instruments themselves are acoustic.

Of course, there are still some very small performance spaces, mostly in classical or jazz venues, where there is nothing electronic between the player and the listener. But increasingly, even medium-sized classical venues make some subtle use of electronics. It tends to be referred to with euphemisms such as "sound shaping" or "sound reinforcement," and the justification tends to be that the electronics are not for amplification, but rather to correct for acoustic deficiencies in the performance space.

In sum, I'm not denying that the ideal of a transparent acoustic recording or performance is a beautiful thing. It surely is. But there is a whole range of timbres, rhythms, and textures that electronics bring to the party, and a stunningly recorded electronic work is not necessarily better or worse than a stunningly recorded acoustic work.

They are simply different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back