What do I Want/Need?
Aug 11, 2005 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kpfeifle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All:

Looking for a pair of headphones for my new Ipod. I have kind of specific needs (like most people) and thought I would throw it out to the group to see what you suggest. For now, I'm looking to use these un-amped right from the Ipod. Looking to spend under a $100, need to have something small because main use will be on the road...airports/airplanes/hotel rooms. Something with it's own case would be great. I listen to mainly rock/jazz/blues/vocals. I need something that sounds great on vocals & midrange. I'm not too worried about not getting great bass. I was thinking of the AT ATH-EM7, which seems on paper to fit all of my needs, but it does not seem to have great reviews. I don't think I want a canel phone (even tho it really fits the bill)...just can't see me putting something in my ear
frown.gif
. OK, what do you think?

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 10
I agree with the above. for the small price the Koss portapro or Koss 75 are great portable heaadphones or clip ons. The portapro has better bass but the 75 are a lot more portable.

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree with robzy, these sennheiser phones are the best for travelling, fold up so don’t take much space ect. i use them for an eclectic range of tunes and find they work quite well. i use the pxc250 version with the noise cancelling thingy its adds a bit of weight and size to the overall package but mate! they reduce the annoying rumble of engine and road noise for a far more comfy trip!

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Since I'm currently in the honeymoon period with them I'll add the AKG K26P. Small, cheap. closed, great sound, folds up and fits in a little soft case/bag. Great straight out of the iPod. Also pretty comfortable for extended listening.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed right now with the SQ and value (about $40).

So far the only real negative is the small soundstage but I expected that given their size and the fact they are closed. Also, the headband is a bit of a pain at first but expanding it to the largest size before putting them on and then adjusting to fit seems to work fine. It does have a tendency to retract when you take them off so you have to remember to do it each time.

Ant

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 10
OK, I have a few things to look at. Thanks everybody!

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 10
px100 $50. they sound very good unamped from the headphone jack & really open up the sound of th ipod. i do not like the koss porta pro because the bass is boomy & loose & i find them weak in mids & highs, imo. i could not listen to them. i gave mine away when i got the px100 & i am very happy with the px100. they are comfortable & fold up to fit into a shirt pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back