What do I want for Christmas???
Dec 15, 2007 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I've run into an interesting problem - now that I'm in college and not living at home anymore, I sort of assumed I wouldn't be getting any Christmas presents from the family. I was a bit taken aback when asked by my mother what I wanted for Christmas, and I didn't know what to tell her.

Without realizing it, I've purchased quite literally everything I want that is reasonable. I lliterally own everything under several thousand dollars that I want. I have the best computer out, the best headphone setup for me, good clothes, good shoes, a watch, books, movies, speakers, a TV, all the sports stuff, etc, etc.

The only things that I still want are way more expensive than I would ever dream of asking for.

What are some fairly inexpensive no more than ($200-300) gizmos and gadgets that you guys are lusting over? Practical suggestions welcome as well, but lust-worthy items are a bonus. Things in the $30-50 range are good too.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 23
My 2 front teeth. :wink:

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without realizing it, I've purchased quite literally everything I want that is reasonable. I lliterally own everything under several thousand dollars that I want.

The eternal Christmas conundrum. Kids like toys, but adults tend to buy whatever they want, so what to give them? I think this is why The Sharper Image was created. Otherwise I tend to give gift certificates to Bed Bath & Beyond and the life.

Booze and cigarettes are good gifts too if the recipient is a drinker/smoker. My Cadillac collecting brother is getting Cap'n Morgans and Stoli vodka (since he has the financial power to buy and sell me several times over). Ah, the days when people smoked and a carton of Marlboros was a gift sure to be enjoyed (for the next week anyway).

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 23
Music is always good.
I'm well out of college now, but my parents, my wife's parents, and my wife and I all exchange gifts.
Trust me, it gets even harder figuring out what you want. I could think of absolutely nothing to ask for. My main hobby is audio, but I tell everyone to NEVER by gear for me because I'd feel that it would be extremely impolite if I ever sold it to 'upgrade,' which I do frequently with my gear.
So I ask mainly for vinyl or to 'be surprised.' I always end up with excellent gifts nonetheless.
One of the excellent gifts I know I getting from the wife, since she was too excited to show me and couldn't wait for Christmas, is Sigur Ros's - In a Frozen Sea limited vinyl box. It's killing me because it's sitting in sealed in her office and a can't wait to start spinning it.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Booze and cigarettes are good gifts too if the recipient is a drinker/smoker.

"You wanna know what I got for Christmas? A carton of cigarettes. He said, smoke up Tony, there Grrrreat!"

Obscure reference?

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 23
Stuff you wouldn't bother buying for yourself is good to ask for.

For me this means the type of classic CDs I know I should own, but am just not excited enough about to go out and purchase. I am hoping the get the last few Bob Dylan CDs to finish my collection this year.
Also parents usually love buying books for their children I have noticed. Any books you have been meaning to read, or that you want to see sitting on your shelf at school?

I know what you mean about having everything you want. With the exception of a Meridian G08 (and maybe cables if I want to go there) my audio setup is basically complete. I want a really nice jacket and maybe another pair of japanese jeans, but those are things I will need to find on my own to make sure it fits and I like it.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 23
People have a VERY difficult time gift shopping for me because of the situation you described...I tend to get myself the things I want. The gifts I most recently received were the complete collections of The Far SIde and Calvin & Hobbes. Another idea is an early printing of one of your favorite books.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You wanna know what I got for Christmas? A carton of cigarettes. He said, smoke up Tony, there Grrrreat!"

Obscure reference?

Family Guy.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 23
Exact same problem over here.
I have bought everything within "regular" price range that I want. I also prefer to buy the items myself, since I am very picky about what I want.

I always end up telling that I just want a surprise. No need to buy a big/expensive gift.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah, forget the gadgets and go with experiential stuff you'd use (and maybe not do on your own). Theater or film or concert tickets, restaurant certificates, hotel stay, etc.

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 23
Things I asked for xmas.

I asked for a new jacket. Kind of like a mountaineering sport jacket that I can wear when I go out that isn't florescent yellow or blue.

I asked for a automatic watch. I have a regular quartz battery watch. I like the new Timex or Armitron automatic watches. Although I haven't seen them in person yet.

I asked for a small portable high intensity LED flashlight.

If my family is having trouble getting any of the above, then I would like an Amazon gift card.

Alway better to know what you want, because if you don't, then you are guaranteed to get something you don't like.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 23
How about one of those back massage cushions? You could have that running while you listened to your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back