What do i need to power some AKG702's
Dec 30, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #32 of 38
heres my thinking. i get these now. i get amp/dac later. if i get these now i dont have to skrew around getting the right **** for my headphones when i get the dac. see my logic? all i would be missing is a good amp then im set rather than messing around trying to get a good pair of casn after. i guess it can go either way so the question then becomes. in your opinion. is 300 a good price for 702 and silver dragon 9 footer, not if the money could be better spent. im just looking for your pricing knowledge here.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #33 of 38
Oh also, i don't have a fixed home so having a big amp relay doesn't do me much good as i have to stay on the move. headphones i can transport easily. i just want to know if that price is good : )

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should i get the 702 with sil dragon? man wants 300, advice please!

Yes!

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #35 of 38
I haven't heard them together, but I've read that the GS-1 and the K701 are a pretty devastating match. I'd really like to give the combo a try myself, because I can see how certain elements of the GS-1's sound might synergize very well with the K701. I did, however, listen to the K701 with a Gilmore Lite and I didn't enjoy it very much at all. To be fair though, the K701 was never really my favorite headphone when I owned it. So take that opinion with a grain of salt.

My sense of the K701 at this point is that you need a pretty serious amp to get the most out of it. Of course, if you enjoy its sound already, then you'll probably be pretty happy hearing it at less than "full capacity." My advice: buy an amp with a beefy power supply that fits into your budget.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #36 of 38
just pull the trigger now, if you can't get afford an amp in the future the phones will resell well.
of course, if you are homeless, you may be wiser to pay for rent instead of headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

as I mentioned earlier, I bought the K702's and used them unamped for awhile...now that I have an amp I have no idea why I waited so long to buy one...oh yeah, I had to go and get married and spend crazy money on that....lol

good luck, let is know how you like the sound!

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh also, i don't have a fixed home so having a big amp relay doesn't do me much good as i have to stay on the move. headphones i can transport easily. i just want to know if that price is good : )

You don't mean headphones that you can listen to while commuting do you? I tried my 701s out of a $100~ portable and the sound was just terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back