What do i need to power some AKG702's
Dec 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 38
Some of the sound cards that I've had experience and can drive the K701/2.

1. Apogee Mini DAC (maybe the Duet it's good as the mini dac).
2. NI Kontrol 1
3. Presonus firebox (looks like the other Presonus will do a great job too).
4. Lexicon omega.
5. Echo DJ Indigo.

Here more info: Perfect Conversion

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you spending all that extra money on a cMoy, diyMod, fancy interconnects and Silver Dragon? Why not buy a used stock K701 and put all that other money towards a decent amp? Also, are you doing the diyMod yourself? If so, you might as well put your diy skills towards making a diy amp, where you can get a lot of bang for relatively little buck.

I agree with this. An amp will make MUCH more of an improvement than a cable upgrade.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 38
I recommend a nuclear power plant.

Current rolling with a Canamp which sounds much better than my STX. Didn't notice that until I was listening to the Canamp for a month and went to check my STX before selling it.

I'd look into a used M^3.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you spending all that extra money on a cMoy, diyMod, fancy interconnects and Silver Dragon? Why not buy a used stock K701 and put all that other money towards a decent amp? Also, are you doing the diyMod yourself? If so, you might as well put your diy skills towards making a diy amp, where you can get a lot of bang for relatively little buck.

Right...

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you everyone for your posts! I currently cant swing it. the headphones themselves are about all i can swing now. ill work out the amp later on. im going from some ad700's coming out of an integrated mobo sound card full of distortion to a mcoy amp in an ipod with the DIYMOD (i hope * crosses fingers*) with these headphones coming out of it. the interconnect is amazing and the K's have silver dragon. should be a pretty decent improvement xD

Feces through a gold, silver, or copper piping are still feces. On the other opposite hand ...

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 38
Honestly there's some good synergy with my Total Bithead and my K701s...if you want to go for a cheap option.
k701smile.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 38
Thank you for your advice AmanGeorge and everyone else, although i cant say im terribly impressed with some of the crass comments. im not buying the akg 702's new, i am buying used for a very good price (the silver dragon is included in their purchase). ive contemplated the DIY AMP idea, do you know any good projects? I will do the DIYmod myself.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 38
A few DIY projects to look into are the Millet Max, M^3, SOHA II, CTH, and CK2III... all of these are popular builds that should be able to give the 701s adequate power. If you have the budget and DIY know-how to swing one of them, I would go for one of them without hesitation over a commercial build.

Every dollar that your silver dragon K701 goes above $225 or so (a generous used price for a stock K701/2) is a dollar that could be better spend towards better upstream components like your DAC and source. Cable should be the last thing that you consider in your audio chain - if paying for this silver dragon cable is preventing you from spending money on more worthwhile components you're making a mistake.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly there's some good synergy with my Total Bithead and my K701s...if you want to go for a cheap option.
k701smile.gif

I had a Total Airhead (the same as the Bithead less the DAC) with the 701 and found it underpowered but the Headroom Micro Amp works very well with it. If you need the DAC, you can get the Micro Amp and DAC STACK. A used one is for sale pretty cheap on the sales forum.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 38
So instead of aprox 285 for 702 and silver dragon. you sugest i find somehting else and build a amp with that money? the way i see it is that im buying these headphones to have and enjoy for a long time and honestly my ears arnt terrificly sensitive. I can get an amp later on and that will make me enjoy them even more. i guess it just comes down to this, 285 for 702 and silver dragon vs 195 for dt990 (32 ohm version) what do you gentelmen suggest?

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So instead of aprox 285 for 702 and silver dragon. you sugest i find somehting else and build a amp with that money? the way i see it is that im buying these headphones to have and enjoy for a long time and honestly my ears arnt terrificly sensitive. I can get an amp later on and that will make me enjoy them even more. i guess it just comes down to this, 285 for 702 and silver dragon vs 195 for dt990 (32 ohm version) what do you gentelmen suggest?

Used K701/702 can routinely be found in the ~$200 range. Although $285 is a genuinely good price for a silver-dragon recabled 702, the money you save is still better put towards amp and source than a re-cable. You can get a cable later on - do amp/source first. Cable should be the last thing you worry about as it will have the smallest impact on the sound of the 'phone. And if you're really sold on the K701/702, you should definitely buy it for $200 over a DT990 for the same price.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #29 of 38
Get a used stock K702 for $200 and save $100 for amp or source upgrade later, do not bother with cable until you're sure that your source and amp are at least decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back