What do Audio-Technica W1000's excel at?
Aug 16, 2005 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phosfiend

100+ Head-Fier
Curious what owners of these consider their strengths are. I am considering getting a pair for my father at some point in the future. His listening preferences are almost exclusively classical. Mids, highs and soundstage would likely be paramount, low-end isn't a major draw for him - but as long is it is not the focus it's welcome.

thanks

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 8
I've had a pair for around a year now and swap between them and my RS1s.
For me they seem to excell with acoustic instruments ,especially guitar.There is bass present, it goes deep and is quite well controlled, not boomy but it isn't pushed forward in the mix. On some recordings higher pitched vocals sometimes seem a little harsh, but that can also happen with the RS1s and maybe as much the fault of the recording or my gear.
I haven't listened to the W1000s with classical music, right now I'm working my way through the Grateful Dead Golden road Box set and it sounds just fine.
The remastered War of the Worlds set sounded better with the ATs than the Grados. While I find them quite acceptable with 'rock' music that isn't their forte.They have a good seperation around instruments and vocals. There is a write up on the ATs at the 6 Moons audio review site that you might find worthwhile also.
I like them and wouldn't part with them. They're very well made, comfortable and as a good sounding, closed back phone at an affordable price they're hard to beat. It doesn't hurt that they look so good either.

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Well if nothing else they excel in looks. The W1000's have to be the best looking headhones made!

W2002.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
W2002.
tongue.gif

I have to say, after owning both for a while, I think the L3000 looks better than the W2002. Pictures don't tell the whole story here; the L3000 has an incredible presence in person that the W2002 can't compete with. They sound a lot better too.
biggrin.gif
Now where the heck is my leatherhead smiley??

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 8
I would have to say string instruments and voices to be their strong point.

In case you have not seen it, I did a little review of them a few days ago:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=w1000

Unfortunately I did not test it much with classical but with smooth music, jazz and old stuff like Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, they really sing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back