What DIY speakers should I build?
Nov 25, 2010 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
Let me preface my question(s) with this: I am 15 and am looking for a project (Christmas gift). I mention this so you will be gentle...

I am not really into speakers ATM for I don't have the "room" for speakers. Physical space, large enough of a room, and time. But I want a project. I am currently in the middle of building a Cmoy (getting a new soldering iron in a week) so I only have limited experience with DIY electronics but understand basic soldering. That said I am also on a budget, $300 or less not including tools.

I have been looking at the Voight Pipe speakers since they are full range, simple (or so it seems) to build, cheap, and won't require an amp powered by shark testosterone. 
My only fear is that they might lack bass. I don't need thunder but enough to "feel" it. This leads me to my next question, what is a good full range speaker that will still fit in my budget?
I also worry that it is too large for my room (approx 15' x 9'). Are there any decent full range bookshelf speakers? I can't seem to find any. 

Also what integrated amp sub-$100 can drive a Voight Pipe adequately? Buying used would be fine. Or are there any DIY integrateds?

Thank you.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 38
Yes, go for a Voight Pipe! Take a look at the Melhuish forums and you'll find plenty of plans. If you want to go $20 over budget, the Jordan JX92 (unshielded, but don't worry too much about that) is $160 each. Terrific drivers!

You might be surprised at how much bass comes from a proper cabinet. It's not like headphones - a good design will give you surprisingly good bass. Don't overspend on cabinets. MDF painted (carefully) black will look nice and be pretty cheap.

Anyhow, go for it! You'll get great speakers on the cheap.

Any old receiver you can find will power Voight Pipes since they're easy to drive. Once you get familiar with the iron and can amass a little money, look at the fleawatt tube amps. They'll power these speakers fine. A good, inexpensive, amp is the Darling. You'll find several inexpensive variations of it. Preamps aren't terribly expensive or difficult to build, either.

Stick with this - you can put together a killer system on a tight budget.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 38
I meant $300 including cabinets and material and such. Not $300 for drivers, although I wish I had the cash but Christmas is coming up and parents expect gifts...
I was just asking for something better than Radioshack brand, just decent budget drivers. 

Thanks for the quick response Erik!

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 38
I know this is a terrible thing that happens around here, but a pair of JX92 drivers is pretty damned good. Even Nelson Pass has has fun with them. So maybe get a pair and sit on them for a bit. MDF is cheap - you can get the good stuff for $20-$30 a sheet. Then a few bucks for wire and $5-$10 binding posts (you can upgrade later). That would get you a pair of well-respected drivers and you could sell some games or DVDs to get the rest. :)

I'd go for really good drivers and wait a bit to get the rest of the money. You can find some pretty good Fostex drivers at Madisound for less than your budget, but I really like those Jordans. Too bad the Cicadas are out of production - they were running $120 each.

Well, shoot for the best drivers you can get. Even if you have to wait a bit and gather cash, it's worth it. I've been gathering parts for the "dream" speakers (Linkwitz Orion3) for about 18 months. I have everything, including amps, but the cabinets now. A few more months will be worth it. :) Think about a short delay to get something really good. The Jordans have tempted me on several occasions, but I've got six pairs of speakers kicking around already. :D

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 38

Quote:
I know this is a terrible thing that happens around here, but a pair of JX92 drivers is pretty damned good. Even Nelson Pass has has fun with them. So maybe get a pair and sit on them for a bit. MDF is cheap - you can get the good stuff for $20-$30 a sheet. Then a few bucks for wire and $5-$10 binding posts (you can upgrade later). That would get you a pair of well-respected drivers and you could sell some games or DVDs to get the rest.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd go for really good drivers and wait a bit to get the rest of the money. You can find some pretty good Fostex drivers at Madisound for less than your budget, but I really like those Jordans. Too bad the Cicadas are out of production - they were running $120 each.

Well, shoot for the best drivers you can get. Even if you have to wait a bit and gather cash, it's worth it. I've been gathering parts for the "dream" speakers (Linkwitz Orion3) for about 18 months. I have everything, including amps, but the cabinets now. A few more months will be worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Think about a short delay to get something really good. The Jordans have tempted me on several occasions, but I've got six pairs of speakers kicking around already.
biggrin.gif

I "have" the money. I am stingy, this is why I "have" this money. I feel as it is untouchable and must stay unspent and safe in my wallet. That isn't the problem, I just want a pair of starter speakers on a budget since it really is just for fun.

I hate how all of you Head-Fi'ers try to raise my budget. In September all I have was a pair of UE SuperFi 5vi's. By December I will have about $500 in headphone equipment. 
basshead.gif

Between my quasi HD650's and my uDac there is little satisfaction. Don't get me wrong, this is the BEST setup I've EVER heard but I am not satisfied. I need an amp (Schiit Asgard) and maybe a new set of cans (DT990). 
What I am getting at is: I am 15 and there is no reason for my to have a grand worth of audio equipment. My parents make money but not enough to justify wreckless Hi-Fi spending.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 38

Quote:
I have been looking at the Voight Pipe speakers since they are full range, simple (or so it seems) to build, cheap, and won't require an amp powered by shark testosterone. 

Win.

Quote:

My only fear is that they might lack bass. 

But they image really well :) The character of a voigt pipe changes DRASTICALLY depending how you position them. They are very fun (or for the wrong people frustrating) speakers to run.

Another simple speaker to look into is an open baffle (A fancy name for a sheet of plywood with a driver or 2 in it... ooh, aah) but Im not sure how "room sensitive" they are. Some speakers only work in rooms that are certain sizes... AKA really big. At least its something to research. Try DIYaudio.

As a last note, experience with electronics is not so important in putting a speaker together. An average crossover or smoothing/notch filter is not particularly difficult to build compared to even a Cmoy. The key in putting a speaker together is in using woodworking tools such as a circular saw. 

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 38

Quote:

Quote:

Win.

Quote:

My only fear is that they might lack bass. 

But they image really well :) The character of a voigt pipe changes DRASTICALLY depending how you position them. They are very fun (or for the wrong people frustrating) speakers to run.

Another simple speaker to look into is an open baffle (A fancy name for a sheet of plywood with a driver or 2 in it... ooh, aah) but Im not sure how "room sensitive" they are. Some speakers only work in rooms that are certain sizes... AKA really big. At least its something to research. Try DIYaudio.

As a last note, experience with electronics is not so important in putting a speaker together. An average crossover or smoothing/notch filter is not particularly difficult to build compared to even a Cmoy. The key in putting a speaker together is in using woodworking tools such as a circular saw. 

I have no (useful) tools and don't know how to read a schematic. I am here though, which puts me lightyears ahead of other teenagers. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 38
I'm pretty sure I've seen plans for a folded Voight horn somewhere, might be an option if you're worried about size. Skills needed to build it will be about the same I guess.

As nikongod said, diyaudio.com, lots of info.

My understandings about build materials seem to be in slight conflict with to those of Erik re MDF.
I've been thinking about building a Metronome for some time, and wherever I look plywood seems to be greatly preferred, due to its rigidity.

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 38
I'd go with plywood just for the simple fact that MDF is resoundingly a PITA to work with.  Seriously, after doing endcaps for a sonosub with MDF and a sealed sub with MDF I doubt I could touch the stuff again.  Getting a clean cut on it has always been about a near impossibility for me.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 38
If you can make the cabinets, look at the Pi2 speakers on http://www.pispeakers.com

These are 2-way towers or monitors with a soft dome (Vifa DX25) tweeter and 10" (Eminence Alpha 10)  woofer included in the price.  The wood for the cabinet is extra. I'm not sure if the cross-over is included.  Write an email to Wayne Parham, the proprietor.  This speaker will take you down to the mid-40 hz range.  Some more specs (SPL vs. freq and impedance vs. frequency) are at http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=15440&start=0&

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
I've been thinking about building a Metronome for some time, and wherever I look plywood seems to be greatly preferred, due to its rigidity.

I have a friend who built a pair of metronomes. They are neat speakers, and for someone who may be moving a bit (to school and whatnot) GREAT, although his were somewhat peaky :frowning2: I think they requre more tuning. I asked if he had used a current source on them... he hadnt tried one  - current source amp makes (actually a 120 ohm resistor between a bug headphone amp and the speakers) voight pipes sound veryyyyyy nice.

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 38
Current source amp?

Also I was reading about finishing the wood. I was thinking the ever-so-original piano black. If I did red instead would imperfections be more visible?
Also what drivers do you recommend for $50 for both?

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 38
I went in here to suggest the Voigt Pipes too, but I'm going to be building a pair of these soon, but the drivers (FE206's, technically the modded version, but it's probably not worth the difference in price for now) themselves cost 2/3rds your budget, but I'm looking at http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvana.html. Their cheapest pair of full range is about $130 a pair, which is pretty reasonable in all honesty, and apparently they aren't horrible. There aren't that many nice full rangers (if any at all?) for $50 a pair.

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

My understandings about build materials seem to be in slight conflict with to those of Erik re MDF.

Yes, plywood can be good.  The thing about plywood, however, is that some of it has voids inside and isn't entirely consistent throughout.  MDF has no internal voids and is very consistent throughout.

This might be one of those things that's too small to notice, but that's why I pick MDF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back