What DIY project next?
Apr 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Migroo

Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out what project to start next. Strictly speaking I'm not 100% finished with my last project - a Millett Max. I still have most of the casework to do.

I'm eager to get another project ordered. My other half is away for a few weeks and I've got lots of free time!
biggrin.gif

I've been looking around at a few projects.

M3
PPA
SOHA
Doing something without a PCB like a crazy buffered cMoy.
Alien DAC.

The best thing I enjoy about the Millett Max is the biasing control you get. I like being able to tweak.

Any ideas for me? I'm not too worried about budget, but I'd like to keep it under $250 initial cost. I'm not worried about the inevitable $20 worth of parts needed at the end of the build
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I deliberately left the beta22 off the list! LOL
biggrin.gif

I may make one, one day. It isn't the next project though. I need to learn more to be fair. I was OK with the Millet Max though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, it appears you could do a lot of casework. That is enjoyable too.
If you use polycarbonate plastic boxes the process is quite straightforward and effective.

F

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 14
You're not likely to build an M3 or PPAv2 under $150, plus you'll still have the PSU to consider.

A SOHA might fit under that budget, but you'll want a couple of things added to that - JISBOS and some nice film caps. JISBOS runs $42 and film caps are up to you - I would recommend MCap ZN, decent price and VERY nice. You're looking a little over your budget for this build, but it's well worth it, a great amp.

AlienDAC is always nice, again, I HIGHLY recommend good output caps, it's what will really make the most difference in sound quality. Check out Sonicap for output, again, they're nicely priced and very good.

EDIT in light of $250 budget.
You should definitely look at the PPAv2 and M^3, PPAv2 for superior detail and M^3 for more warmth. Both are fantastic amps. A STEPS PSU is a great upgrade, but if you're on a budget, consider a TREAD.

SOHA + JISBOS is also a fantastic contender, I'd say around the $200 price point with all the add-ins.

Might as well build an AlienDAC as well, just raise that budget by $60 (to include about $20 for nice film caps).

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Sounds like I might want to adjust my budged - which is definately possible.

I've edited the original post
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 14
Is DIY project easy enough to do for firs timer?

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 14
CKKIII? Real cheap and good to boot

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CKKIII? Real cheap and good to boot

I'll second that !

An excellent project.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice amp, but no competition for PPAv2
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's probably true, wrt overall sound.
wink.gif

But as a project to build, it's excellent. For a noob, it's easy to build, has cheap and easy to get parts,
and is a huge improvement on a cmoy. An ideal 2nd or 3rd project, I would have thought.

As regards sound, I find it to be very easy on the ear, and can quite happily listen to it, despite having a Beta22 sitting there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back