What DIP sockets are audio quality?
Nov 16, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
I'm of the opinion that the fraction of a centimeter of conductor that is going to be used by the dip socket is going to have 'nil effect on the audio signal, especially if the dip socket isn't impeding the function of any IC plugged into it. I've never seen an IC with the specifications "only mount in a gold plated dip socket or it'll oscillate like mad!"

I, however, use the gold plated ones mentioned in tangent's guide because they're good and solid feeling, and built well.

-Z

I have seen a few that say do not use sockets or it might oscillate. Then again they were fast chips not often used here (can't remember what).

I have been using the gold plated ones from Mouser Tangent recommends. They are cheap and seem decent.

Nov 16, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 26
I always use the turned pin Dip8 sockets, the really cheap sockets are more bother than they're worth unless you intend for the opamp to remain plugged in continuously in which instance you'd be better soldering the opamp directly to the board.

I can't see any great advantage in using a turned pin gold plated dip8 socket... if the legs of the opamp were gold then, yes, gold to gold is a good thing... the nickel plated dip8 sockets are just as good.... well, put it this way, you can't hear a difference between gold and nickel dip8 sockets
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #19 of 26
Here's a section of tpg's reply e-mail about my amp:

Quote:

The opamp socket in the amp
is a Mill-Max socket with gold-plated leads and gold-plated contacts.
Usually people use gold for one and tin for the other... but I don't see
why. Might as well get gold through and through... with silver wiring. lol

Trevor, I don't know...I didn't make the thing, tpg did, but that's what he said they were.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
I was referring to the resistors. It was a bit of an OT post for the most part.
biggrin.gif

I know you were. Refer to my previous statement.

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #22 of 26
IMO, the only consideration about socket quality is whether you intend to do frequent op-amp rolling. In that case, a quality machined socket will ensure that the contacts will not wear out from frequent removal and insertion.

Other than that, pretty much any socket sold today is of adequate quality and I REALLY doubt that it makes any audible difference which you choose.

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #23 of 26
.... you are adding something which does not benefit the system, and therefore should be omitted.

You are adding additional inductance in series with each lead. That makes the bypass capacitor just a bit further away. The stray capacitance increases by a couple pF.

A socket is ALWAYS a compromise.

That said, I use them too sometimes. Engineering is the management of compromises.

Pin sockets are available which place the IC that much closer to the PCB.

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Speaker Guy
A socket is ALWAYS a compromise.

they're convenient though and make op amp rolling / maintenance a lot easier.... I very much doubt if your ears could differentiate between a hardwired opamp and a socketed one.

Everything in life is a compromise but we usually opt for the most convenient / functional / usable and abuseable solution. I, for one, prefer to pull an opamp out of a socket with my fingers rather than desolder itand risk lifting the pads or frying the chip with excess heat
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
they're convenient though and make op amp rolling / maintenance a lot easier.... I very much doubt if your ears could differentiate between a hardwired opamp and a socketed one.

Yeah, buit it's not Zen man!
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 26
In my Pimeta I currently have a socket plugged into the board, a brown dog plugged into that, 2 sockets on the brown dog and OPA627s in the sockets. Is that enough sockets and extra crap to cause concern?

I have tried quite a few opamps (OPA637, AD8610, OPA2227, OPA2228, OPA2107, OPA2132 and LT1364) and I like the OPA627 better by a fair amount. I think I might just ditch the sockets, can't hurt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back