What digital/balanced cable do I need to make?
Jan 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vvs_75

500+ Head-Fier
I need to make cable to connect my transport / coax to DAC / 110 Ohm AES/EBU XLR.

In theory I need to use impedance transformer to mach 110 to 75 ohm impedances but As far as I understand you need one if you only running long cable. My cable will be max 3 feet.

I’ve done some reading a while ago and some people saying that even on short run the transformer still make a difference in SQ.

I am thinking to skip impedance transformer and make cable like this one:

XLRphono2.gif

So do you guys using impedance transformer in your source or not?

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 11
aes/ebu and spdif aren't the same format, so unless your aes/ebu port on your dac speaks spdif as well, you won't get the results you're looking for. As to impedance, it depends on the hardware. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Judging from that, I'd say it won't work with spdif. But that if you can send it aes, it's probably relatively immune to impedance mismatch, with the transformer on input.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 11
It does work sometimes, if the device talks both. Can't hurt to try, but it won't be impedance that stops you if it fails.

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. You need a transport that outputs AES or a dac that decodes SPDIF. They're not the same.

For the most part they are. The on-the-wire data format is the same. The differences are in physical medium and a couple meta-fields in the data format. In the vast majority of cases it should work fine.

There's a level converter schematic here epanorama.net/S/PDIF Interface

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 11
I can tell you in reality, they're different. I've fed spdif to aes and aes to spdif, and some converters like it and some don't. The ones that do usually have a way to say you're sending spdif or aes.

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 11
Look like I found solution! Aardvark S/PDIF to AES/EBU
The Company gone and adapter DISCONTINUED but it’s still possible to find one.

The option is a pair of adapters that fit onto the Electrical S/PDIF (RCA) I/O on the Aark24 breakout box. These adapters effortlessly convert incoming and outgoing stereo S/PDIF digital audio to stereo AES/EBU digital audio!

Thanks to everybody!

AardvarkSPDIFtoAESEBU.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back