What difference will I hear between 32, 88, and 250 ohm headphones?
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

New Head-Fier
I don't know anything about ohms. How do they affect my music? I want to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones but I don't know the difference between buying the 32ohm pair or the 250 ohm pair. Can someone explain??? Thanks

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 8

The figure is the impedence or resistance electrical current terms i know because i had to study electrical circuits when learning to fly jets.In terms of Headphones the Lower the Impedence the easier it is to drive the headphones around 16-32 Ohms is really what You are looking for otherwise You will have to turn the volume up all the way just to get decent sound.The way round this ofcourse is to purchase a headphone amp from Fiio or CMOY or Basso.The Beyerdynamics are a great range of Headphones enjoy!

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

i know because i had to study electrical circuits when learning to fly jets.

My first post on HF for a very long time, I LMAO at this sentence.

The higher the impedance, the higher the voltage your headphone amp will need to output to get sound out of the headphones, but the less they'll be susceptible to the amp's own impedance and current delivery issues.

In short, the lower the impedance the less demanding of the amp, but the less smoother the sound. As you go up the impedance, you'll get better controlled bass and less harsh treble, but you'll require a more powerful amp.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
My first post on HF for a very long time, I LMAO at this sentence.

The higher the impedance, the higher the voltage your headphone amp will need to output to get sound out of the headphones, but the less they'll be susceptible to the amp's own impedance and current delivery issues.

In short, the lower the impedance the less demanding of the amp, but the less smoother the sound. As you go up the impedance, you'll get better controlled bass and less harsh treble, but you'll require a more powerful amp.

I know mate the subject was boring as hell to this day i don't know how i passed the exams-)!Loved Your Pusillanimous answer made My day!

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 8
If you have an amazing amp, with a 250 ohm headphone, it will sound great.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Higher impedance isn't necessarily better even if you have a beefy amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back