what decides whats good?
Apr 11, 2009 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pursuant

New Head-Fier
As someone who has enjoyed listening to music for more than 50 years but without the technical background that many of you have I have been trying to make some decisions on what kind of ear bud that would be right for me.I have been watching and reading threads about the relative worth of a variety of ear buds and I can tell there is quite a bit of subjective criteria that is used to determine the worth of each to the individual wearer. But I wonder if there are a number of objective standards that you could look at and say "these are decent or these are great". It would need to be broken down into cost categories as I assume that there would be a clear difference between $50 bud and $500 ones.
Just curious.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 17
  1. Detail in each frequency
  2. Comfort
  3. Value
  4. Looks
Just some of what is a deciding factor but when you reach to the top universal earphones like the Shure SE530, Westone 3, Sennheiser IE8, and Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 it all comes down to sound preference because no earphone is better than the other really.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 17
SQ-wise, high-end IEMs all do good job (and you'll likely get used to the different sound signature)
So the first thing I usually consider is how I'm going to use it.
If I'm going to use it for a long time, then the comfort is the key.
If on the other hand, I'm going to use it in noisy background (say, train commuting to work) then isolation is the key.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 17
Since u been listening for 50 years, u MUST know what YOU LIKE.

Technical has nothing to do with it. As u stated, there are lots of subjective measures (and valid for that user), but (back to paragraph#1), that's one area of criteria u must have an abundance of.

The only thing "objective" that I can think of is the shape of the phones, some of which are designed to be worn over-the-ear. Sum ppl just don't like that (yes-yes, u can wear them the normal way but looks weird and must feel the same), but this is in the area of comfort&look category.

Nobody have said, "u must pay at least $100 to get decent sound" or "low impedance phones are bad!" or "two drives is ALWAYS better than one."

So good luck with your objective hunt.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 17
"what decides whats good?"

Why, majority opinion of course. Listen to the fanatics... don't try anything, and just agree with them. You'll help them with their self worth in the end. Haha.

Seriously, it's hard to pin it down to what's good and what is not, per se. I would suggest the thing to do is read up over some of the key threads about the more respected models. Read up on each model's specs, read the user impressions, and see if you can start to form an overall idea of what the character/sound signature of each is. You may have to try purchasing a couple/several of the IEM's and go through some trial and error to see if you find a sound signature you like. You may not like your first choice or two. Or you may hit on one you really like the first try. The good thing about purchasing one of the top IEM's is that you can rest assured you'll always be able to sell them for a decent price, and you won't be out too much.

VoLTaG3 has hit on several of the top tier ones. Maybe those are a good couple choices to start some research. What budget are you thinking of, and what types of music do you enjoy? You could always pick up your first pair used here on the FS section too... that would be a great way to start. Most members here take exceedingly good care of their gear.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your ears

X2. Music reproduction is similar to art. There are many different styles it can be expressed in. Nothing objective about it whatsoever despite what some critics may say. Surely, you will have an idea of what you like and can either go through trial and error or take a leap of faith on what you read on here.
wink.gif

Only thing objective that springs to mind from a cost pov is earphone construction/durability.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 17
Isn't the objective test accuracy to a live event? That's how I judge a transducer. If it is accurate and true to a live performance, then it is good.

However, fashion and price are the elephants in the room. Most people buy based on looks and the degree to which they have been marketed to. There are many exceptionally fine professional products which are overlooked solely because they aren't marketed toward the Head-Fi crowd. Further, price is endlessly confused with quality. If you had two internally identical units and priced one at $100 and the other at $500, the $500 one would always beat the $100 model in reviews. Provided people know the prices, of course. Manufacturers are entirely aware of this and often take the opportunity to repackage something at a much higher price.

I can't recommend any particular IEMs, but keep this in mind when you decide on a purchase. Do people recommend based on sound quality, or do they recommend what's fashionable and is a status symbol based on price?

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since u been listening for 50 years, u MUST know what YOU LIKE.

Technical has nothing to do with it. As u stated, there are lots of subjective measures (and valid for that user), but (back to paragraph#1), that's one area of criteria u must have an abundance of.

The only thing "objective" that I can think of is the shape of the phones, some of which are designed to be worn over-the-ear. Sum ppl just don't like that (yes-yes, u can wear them the normal way but looks weird and must feel the same), but this is in the area of comfort&look category.

Nobody have said, "u must pay at least $100 to get decent sound" or "low impedance phones are bad!" or "two drives is ALWAYS better than one."

So good luck with your objective hunt.

Very well said.
smily_headphones1.gif

No one, except you, can decide what's best for you. I've heard of people who think iBuds are better than any $100 earbud (
o2smile.gif
), however most would disagree with them.

There are people who say they like the CX300, and those who say they hate the CX300.

If you haven't guessed it yet, your ears are the one that decide what's best for you. No one's ears are different.

A thing to note is that highest cost 'phones does NOT equal to the best 'phones. One of the previous posters said about Buy Other Sound Equipment (BOSE).

To help you out a bit, I would say that comfort, SQ and value are most important when searching for your 'phones.

I wish you good luck on your hunt.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 17
Just because you are older than us doesn't mean you aren't going to have a long expensive journey starting now.
wink.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet.

Well, maybe not. Older people are more mature and probably more avert from materialistic needs (or sonic needs). Actually that's probably not true either, I get addicted to anything I do and probably will for the rest of my life!
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the advice, you are right it does take a lot of listening to. I am on my second set of ear buds. I have a price limitation so I can't get anything over $80. I first started out with Kilpsch Custom 1s which sounded just perfect to me. One of the problems of being older is that your hearing isn't what it used to be. I have a high end hearing loss, so I look for something with clarity and crisp highs. As I said the Custom 1 sounded great but they were very uncomfortable, so I reluctantly gave them up. I now have PK3s which seem to be well received here at the forum. At first they sounded muddy to me in comparison to the Customs. I am giving them a break in period to see if I adjust to their sound. They have a "warm" sound that is nice to my ear. I am wondering about the Klipsch S4 that are due out this next month. I might give them a whirl.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 17
If you want something with crisp highs and great clarity, you could try the Phonak PFE or the Ety ER4P.
With the phonaks, there is a 14 day no-questions-asked money back guarentee when you order from their site, so it may be something worth checking into.
PS: I returned mine for reasons such as stated by other members, what you personally like might be different to what someone else likes. Personally, the clarity and the superb highs did not go well with my heavy metal, so I took advantage of the guarentee.
***EDIT*** Just noticed your $80 price requirement, you can cross out my suggestions. If you were looking for cans I'd suggest the grado SR-60. You might be able to find some im716's somewhere, they are built by ety and are in your price range. They might need an amp though going by memory.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 17
the most important thing to me:

1. Sound
2. Comfort
3. Build Quality (not to be confused with looks) i could care less if an IEM looks good as long as it sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back