What decibel do you listen at?
Jan 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Tranman409

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using Foobar and AD700s, I was wondering what would be a safe volume to listen to music at?  I listen at -5.17 db and it feels like a concert in my ear. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 32
I don't know but generally unless it is just a really great song, I can still hear well enough to carry on a conversation with my headphones on. Grados are pretty awesome that way...don't have to turn them way up and still get decent sound. I hope the K701's I have coming are the same way. Even though I am pretty conservative with the volume...I still worry about my ears.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 32
Yup, Foobar cannot tell you how loud you are actually listening. You need an SPL meter for this, as GreatDane said.

I listen at 80 db A weighted, peaks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 32
80 db is too loud for me, I usually listen at 70-75 dB average and peaks around 85 dB. Btw, I used my ipod decibel meter to measure this.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 32

Quote:

I like driving along to loud music though so I'm guessing my car is over 95-100db+

If true, you're permanently damaging your hearing after about 2 ours at such a level, and that assumes that you have not had any other exposure to loud sounds that day.

Just for reference:

Code:
  OSHA TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1) ______________________________________________________________ | Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response ____________________________|_________________________________ | 8...........................| 90 6...........................| 92 4...........................| 95 3...........................| 97 2...........................| 100 1 1/2 ......................| 102 1...........................| 105 1/2 ........................| 110 1/4 or less................| 115 ____________________________|________________________________ Footnote(1) When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of each. If the sum of the following fractions: C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2) C(n)/T(n) exceeds unity, then, the mixed exposure should be considered to exceed the limit value. Cn indicates the total time of exposure at a specified noise level, and Tn indicates the total time of exposure permitted at that level. Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 32
At my annual check up I asked to meet w/ an audiologist, convinced that years of loud music had taken it's toll. The results were shocking - that I was in fact in the normal range for a hearing adult. Knowing what range of sound I simply cannot hear will be helpful going forward, I definitely turned my volume way down too.

Take good care of your little eardrums friends.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 32
I do my listening at approx 70dB zero weighted. What one would consider really low level listening.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 32
low to mid 80's dBA is my usual listening level with headphones. sometimes i may crank it up into the low to mid 90's for a short while.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 32
Guys, you CANNOT go by what any player tells you - it has no real way of knowing how loud the sound is, because it has to know the efficiency of the headphones in order to calculate it!  Maybe the Apple one would be accurate ONLY for the Apple-supplied earbuds, but that's all.  Otherwise, you have to use an SPL meter to measure.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 32
180db I've been trying to blow up my eardrums for the longest hasn't worked.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 32
Agreed. you need an SPL meter to know how loud you're listening.

Quote:
Guys, you CANNOT go by what any player tells you - it has no real way of knowing how loud the sound is, because it has to know the efficiency of the headphones in order to calculate it!  Maybe the Apple one would be accurate ONLY for the Apple-supplied earbuds, but that's all.  Otherwise, you have to use an SPL meter to measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back