What DAP to get for $200
Jun 24, 2005 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

slair76116

100+ Head-Fier
What should i get for $200...?..(The portable player i have now is..a national/panasonci tape player...really..!!!Stop laughing please...! )

I like mostly to listen to acoustic..tracks of Rock...My fav now is hanging on by a moment...lifehouse...yes it's old...but i've rediscovered it..
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say i like more middle and lower range sounds...than highs...but..i would like clear highs aswell...in short i want it all (not possible yes)....

This would probably be my only purchase for the next 3-5 years....as you can c from my tape player....If you guys convince me...i might even get that sexy X5...oohhhhhh.....but......the sensible thing is spending $200....unless....oh damn it here we go.....Stop stop...!!!

Anways...

the only thought i had was The creative Zen micro 4gb

I want excellent music quality....

I have no Cans....But if i get a player for less than $200...I could scrape some cash for say a senhiesser HD212..unless the player comes with good eraphones....9unless you have other sugetions...)

But the one i really want to have is the iAudio X5......And mind you i could...(if i sell my self at the corner ) get $300....but i would probably die of starvation.....happy....but.....starved.....So.... ..

Help...

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 12
I am sure that you would be happiest with the X5 (if you can afford it) since it is an awesome player.

but for $200, I would see if you can find a new Karma. They are down to about a little over $200 and it is probably one of the best sounding players on the market, plus it has gapless and OGG support which are always a plus.

Also if you want a very simple player you could always check out the Archos Gmini XS200, it sells for right around 200, plus it is one of the smallest 20GB players out there. The only problem is that is does not support OGG files like the X5 and the Karma do.

And for headphones, you should pick up a pair of HD201's. I have only heard positive things about them and I have been meaning to pick them up at some point. Also I have heard that the bass can be very overwhelming on the HD212's, that is the only reason that I would not recommend them.

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 12
You didn't have any iPods on your list, but since you didn't mention being anti-, I assume that was largely because of price.

If that's the case, then go to store.apple.com, scroll down, and click on the big red SAVE tag on the right. There are refurb iPod Minis for $149, and some older model 15GB iPods for $179-$199.

Rather than the Sennheiser 212, I'd suggest the HD201. Remarkable sound for just $20 from Headroom. Really a bargain.

Jun 24, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Well...theres the Entempo Spirit at $100...

Eh.. I got one of these. My primary use for it is an external hard drive, I'll probably upgrade the 2.5 hard drive sometime in the future. If one of your major concerns is sound quality I advice against it.

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Eh.. I got one of these. My primary use for it is an external hard drive, I'll probably upgrade the 2.5 hard drive sometime in the future. If one of your major concerns is sound quality I advice against it.

You finally got one, eh? Yeah, I may bump up the hard drive (to 80GB or so) soon, especially if I can start building my el-cheapo partybox dream machine (Athlon 64 XPC formfactor system). I actually found after a while that the sound was pretty much dead on with my iRiver SlimX 350, but with slightly tamed highs in comparison- so it sounds warmer by default. It works well with my SA1000's, and puts the high end back into balance(although I never complain about the brightness of the SA1000, I'm used to it) and the noise floor of the hard drive is significantly reduced by the impedance of the SA1000 compared to the ER6i or SR60, it's 70 ohms versus 16 and 32, respectively, and in this case, I'd almost be willing to get a Xin adaptor just to fix it, as I like a dead noise floor.

On top of that, as soon as I'm not broke, I'll mod the stock dungbuds/inline mic combination to terminate to a 1/8" jack, which is super-easy(and worth PM'ing me if you want to know the details and specs and... stuff). It would be nice if the firmware actually remebers where I am when I turn the thing off though. After I bump the HDD up a few notches and get the 4-pole to plug 3-pole jack finished, this will be my only remaining complaint. Oh, and the case for it sucks. Big time. I want a real case for my player!
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jun 25, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 12
I just got the Rio Carbon ( $149 with Rebates ) and the Akg K26p ( $39.99 ). All i can is WOW ( drooool ).

Carbon

Sounds better and cheaper than Zen micro or Mini, cheaper, sexy, usb rechargeble, softwareless, great batt life

K26p

Easily powered, Comfy, Looks good, Portable, Good bass, Smooth throughout range, great isolation, cheaper than competition

BOTH ARE GREY!
k1000smile.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
You finally got one, eh? Yeah, I may bump up the hard drive (to 80GB or so) soon, especially if I can start building my el-cheapo partybox dream machine (Athlon 64 XPC formfactor system). I actually found after a while that the sound was pretty much dead on with my iRiver SlimX 350, but with slightly tamed highs in comparison- so it sounds warmer by default. It works well with my SA1000's, and puts the high end back into balance(although I never complain about the brightness of the SA1000, I'm used to it) and the noise floor of the hard drive is significantly reduced by the impedance of the SA1000 compared to the ER6i or SR60, it's 70 ohms versus 16 and 32, respectively, and in this case, I'd almost be willing to get a Xin adaptor just to fix it, as I like a dead noise floor.

On top of that, as soon as I'm not broke, I'll mod the stock dungbuds/inline mic combination to terminate to a 1/8" jack, which is super-easy(and worth PM'ing me if you want to know the details and specs and... stuff). It would be nice if the firmware actually remebers where I am when I turn the thing off though. After I bump the HDD up a few notches and get the 4-pole to plug 3-pole jack finished, this will be my only remaining complaint. Oh, and the case for it sucks. Big time. I want a real case for my player!
5000smile.gif
Abe

Yup, I finally got it, but haven't given it enough time to get some real impressions. So far it's only been an external hard drive for me since I need to get some files from computer to computer. I actually have an old laptop that I plan to strip for parts (eventually
tongue.gif
). I'll see if the hard drive is compatible, 40gb is still better then 20gb.

As for sound I've only used my e2c and ksc 75 (yeah, I know not very good headphones to test sound with). I have a pair of hd280 also but those don't seem to fit without doing a mod.
frown.gif
I'm comparing the sound to an old Panasonic PCDP I've had since '97 and there is no comparison. The Panasonic wins hands down... I guess it will take some time for me to adjust to the quality of this dap.
frown.gif

And yes, the case is horrible. I would get the same protection if I dropped it in a sock and poked a few holes in it.
rolleyes.gif

And not to hijack this thread too much, I would recommend this player if you're really tight on cash. There is no other 20gb dap for $100
eek.gif
. There are no fatal flaws in general, but just don't expect too much from it.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 12
k to the point....

This will probably be my last Mp3 player for a long time.....So music quality matters a lot to me......

1.) I heard the sound quality of the Ipods arent really so hot...and they are way overprised......and i don't want to be a pod....
2.) From what i can read the Karama does not have a voice record function....nor an FM radio.....I'd like them both...need the recorder for lectures.......
3.) I live in Sri Lanka so most rebate stuff's off,the only option i have for purchase is Dubai(father)(singapore mums there)(canada=Aunt)(Sri Lanka=3rd world crap)
4.) as i heard the best audio quality is in the IaudioX5 and the new Sony Hd5( i think)..
5.) i was opting for the creative wen micro things casue it would be cheap and easy to get in singapore....
6.) maybe it's casue i've not seen the Karma up close...but it looks square and ugly....
7.) could some one tell me if they know where a cheap place would be to get a Iaudio X5
8.) senn HD 201's....never heard about them...i spend most my time at sharkies and those guys love there 212's....I guess casue most of them are gammer and they like the bangs.......Like i said...i love mids and lows......So the Hd 201 are the better option for me..?

Thanks....help like this saves money......time......and gives a lot of people good advice....cool......I would return the favour when ever i could...so if ever one of you comes to sri lanka....food and lodging on me....em for a short period......and not now i got exams......maybe after december......

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 12
You should be happy with the Zen Micro, assuming (1) You don't mind using Creative's software and/or Windows Media Player and (2) You manage to get a "good" unit from Creative. I was very happy with my ZM until it died at 100 days of use. Too bad the full service warranty ends at 90 days...and good thing I had a warranty extension!

The radio feature is nice, but be aware that the headphone cord is the antenna for the radio--if you use a nice, big, well-insulated cord, you'll lose some reception. Also, the replaceable battery issue is stupid--can anybody tell me where I can actually BUY a replacement battery? ANd while the recent firmware updates seem to help some, I still have trouble with my ZM sucking down too much battery power when it is "off" or in sleep mode.

The ZM sounds decent, more of a luscious, fun sound than the more neutral Ipod or the like. But older models have a pretty meager output stage (7mW)...thought I hear the newer models put out 23mW. My 7mW Zen powered Sennheiser PX100's, Sony MDR-V6's, Grado SR60's and Etymotic ER-4P's all just fine.

I find 4-6GB of space is plenty, and the portability and durability of the smaller players (plus, usually cheaper price) is worth it, versus larger models (full Ipod, X5, etc). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back