What DAP/PMP has most disappointed you?
Jul 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how you are using iTunes but as far as I can tell, it is 1000 times FASTER to get an album onto a DAP through iTunes than it is through windows explorer. In fact, I've had enough of this...wait there...

Ok:

2m4afm1.jpg

In what universe are the 3 steps involved in iTunes, more complex than the 5 involved when using windows drag and drop? Please tell me because I honestly think people are losing the plot when it comes to iTunes.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

I don't know how you are using iTunes but as far as I can tell, it is 1000 times FASTER to get an album onto a DAP through iTunes than it is through windows explorer. In fact, I've had enough of this...wait there...

Hell, I'll time it for you right now.

It just took me 9 seconds to move a 70 MB album from my hard drive to a rockboxed iPod.

Using iTunes though, I first moved it to Library -> Music, then opened that up and had to drag it my device. Altogether, without me wasting time at all, that took a ridiculous 65 seconds until it said "Sync Complete".

That's for one album.

7 times longer.

Imagine if I had to move 10GB of music to an iPod. Crudely extrapolating from that, with simple drag and drop, it'd take me 21 minutes. Using iTunes it would take me 2 AND A HALF HOURS.

Quote:

Ok:

2m4afm1.jpg

In what universe are the 3 steps involved in iTunes, more complex than the 5 involved when using windows drag and drop? Please tell me because I honestly think people are losing the plot when it comes to iTunes.

That's silly and you know it. I have a folder called "Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)", I left click, drag over to my portable hard drive, let go of left click and I'm done. No silliness.

Really, if all your music is just dumped into one folder without any organisation and you rely on media libraries to do that for you, that's another issue entirely ...

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, if all your music is just dumped into one folder without any organisation and you rely on media libraries to do that for you, that's another issue entirely ...

redface.gif

And I came from an iAudio X5L too.. Cowon enthusiasts would be ashamed.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Hell, I'll time it for you right now.

It just took me 9 seconds to move a 70 MB album from my hard drive to a rockboxed iPod.

Using iTunes though, I first moved it to Library -> Music, then opened that up and had to drag it my device. Altogether, without me wasting time at all, that took a ridiculous 65 seconds until it said "Sync Complete".

That's for one album.

7 times longer.

Imagine if I had to move 10GB of music to an iPod. Crudely extrapolating from that, with simple drag and drop, it'd take me 21 minutes. Using iTunes it would take me 2 AND A HALF HOURS.

That's silly and you know it. I have a folder called "Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)", I left click, drag over to my portable hard drive, let go of left click and I'm done. No silliness.

Lets say you want to remove that Arcade Fire album from your iPod, but then a week later you want to add one song from that same album. Please explain the steps you would have to go through to achieve this.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Lets say you want to remove that Arcade Fire album from your iPod, but then a week later you want to add one song from that same album. Please explain the steps you would have to go through to achieve this.

Remove the album but chuck that single song into my Singles folder. Easy
tongue.gif

I'm honestly not debating whether you want to use folder view or by id3 tags. I've stuck with folder display because I've had my music organised since forever, but using tags obviously has the advantage that you can sort by any number of factors like year/genre/etc. The thing is I can do that with rockbox anyway though, without invoking iTunes.

All I'm arguing is that as a tool purely for transferring music, it's convoluted, lengthy and an unnecessary step which to my eyes at least seems geared towards forcing you into using the iTunes as your library, and then inevitably enticing you into their online store.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #81 of 90
Getting back to point - the Cowon D2 has disappointed me the most...

All of the hype about it here, and - it sounds (to me at least) - pretty meh...

Luckily, I had enough conviction / cahonas (depending on how you look at it) to try the S9... - Now, that - luckily enough, is a different story
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Remove the album but chuck that single song into my Singles folder. Easy
tongue.gif

I'm honestly not debating whether you want to use folder view or by id3 tags. I've stuck with folder display because I've had my music organised since forever, but using tags obviously has the advantage that you can sort by any number of factors like year/genre/etc. The thing is I can do that with rockbox anyway though, without invoking iTunes.

All I'm arguing is that as a tool purely for transferring music, it's convoluted, lengthy and an unnecessary step which to my eyes at least seems geared towards forcing you into using the iTunes as your library, and then inevitably enticing you into their online store.

Then we will have to agree to disagree. For years and years I resisted itunes because of the same reasons you give. 18 months ago I bought an iPod Touch 1st gen (Terrible SQ, I recently sold it and got a 32gb 3GS) and I have never looked back. I love iTunes and couldn't live without it and I am far far far from an apple fan boy.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #84 of 90
Woah, tough question.

Rio Karma: People who complain about iTunes haven't tried Rio's software. The sound is nice, but as with everything else in the world, there's more than one way to get your rocks off. In my eyes nowhere near the Godly status endowed upon it by some, even though I got it for less than half the initial US MSRP.

Sony HD5: Spins up the HDD every time you touch a button, AND when you release the hold switch. I now hate Sony with a passion, but more on that later.

Sansa Clip: I know the sound is good, but I simply couldn't stand the interface. With most ipods I can get around the need for ID3 tags, the Clip is ID3-based with no real workaround if you're lazy with the tags. Mine also had trouble holding a charge, wouldn't charge fully, and several peripheral features didn't work as advertised.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jssmail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love 5.5 ipv Great SQ. I can't find any better .

try iPod mini 2G.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #86 of 90
For me it (D2) had good synergy with E500 and it showed some highs atleast with great mids and lows. I tried iriver H10 and i wasn't able to listen it more han 2 minutes and pulled my earphones off because sound was so crystal clear with smallest headstage. Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting back to point - the Cowon D2 has disappointed me the most...

All of the hype about it here, and - it sounds (to me at least) - pretty meh...

Luckily, I had enough conviction / cahonas (depending on how you look at it) to try the S9... - Now, that - luckily enough, is a different story
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Then we will have to agree to disagree. For years and years I resisted itunes because of the same reasons you give. 18 months ago I bought an iPod Touch 1st gen (Terrible SQ, I recently sold it and got a 32gb 3GS) and I have never looked back. I love iTunes and couldn't live without it and I am far far far from an apple fan boy.

Guess so. No worries, I'm glad you're happy. Frankly I used to decry Apple everywhere I went, but upon getting an 5.5G 80GB, I was genuinely surprised it actually sounded good with some customisation. Still not quite in cahoots about their general business practices, but I can't fault them for building some good hardware.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by RMPNG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we always talk about what we like, I think it would be good to hear what people don't like as well.

The Cowon D2 has been my biggest disappointment for quite a few reasons.

-Extremely steep learning curve. It took me quite a bit of time to become proficient with the...

-Unintuitive, hassle-filled UI. It takes multiple clicks to resume, even more to get to my music library, some scrolling to find what I want to listen to, and then I repeat all that again. This wouldn't be so bad if I weren't jumping all over the screen to get where I want to go. The tactile buttons may have offset some of my distaste for the GUI, but they are gimped to only one function, excluding the menu button (which you can hold for ~3 seconds to pause/play-- another waiting game).

-Cold, analytical sound. This is a bit of a subjective complaint, as I'm using my er6i's to judge (also analytical), but it makes listening to my music no fun at all.

-Bloated with mediocre functions. A dictionary, calculators, hiss-including voice recorder, and much more that could have been put aside for more important features like gapless.

-Gimped video quality. The cap at 320x240 is a waste for a such beautiful screen.

Also, don't comment on why people dislike x player. I'm hoping that no arguments arise
smily_headphones1.gif

A headfier called Ulsanman from Korean said after he hearing to MAP3, he is disappointed on every DAP he has AND sell all of then on headfi org, I also have the same feeling. But I don't want to sell the other DAP for some times I like to compare the diference.
please have a look at his post:The New MP3 Player: AMP3

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #89 of 90
Cowon A3 - no matter what I did, and irrespective of headphones used, I could never get a sound that I liked. Everything just sounded very bland, clinical, and with a strangely metallic 'sheen' to it that I hated.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #90 of 90
A lot of people here seem disappointed by the D2, but for the me I'm rather fond it. The small screen size is the only downside (for my video playing).

My biggest DAP disappointment would be the iPod Nano 1G (have a black 2 GB one). The battery died 2 years after I bought it (no longer holds a good charge) and there has been less than 100 charge/discharge cycles. Biggest $150 disappoint.

My biggest PMP disappointment would be the SupportPlus 20 GB PMP (1G). The joystick's downstroke stopped working after about 2 months and now it's just sitting on my desk useless. There was no manual or quick start guide to tell me that the joystick was the only thing that controlled volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back