What DAP beats iPod sound quality?
Mar 8, 2006 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I have two 3rd gen 40 gig iPods. I just bought a pair of of Shure e5c's and they sound great to me but I have read a bunch of people saying that a bunch of the other high capacity DAP's leave the iPod in the dust sonically.

What *really* sounds better?

p.s.
video and lots of other features (e.g. FM) don't matter to me

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 18
Using who's ears?
biggrin.gif
Using the line out. Nothing really. iPod line is quite good. Through the earphone, a 5g iPod is better. Or any other HD DAP.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 18
Unless one is going the digital out to a standalone high quality DAC -> Good Amp -> Very resolving headphones most mortals either cannot tell the difference or the difference isn't enough to where it matters which player one chooses

Comparing the analog connections...(no one I know of has modded an iPod to output digital) of the iPod to the competition, I have not heard a player that leaves the iPod "in the dust"

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 18
people have said that the shuffle has the best sound there is in the ipod family. (according to measurements)

p.s. the undisputed best in the business is an ipod with an imod

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 18
It depends on what DAP the poster owns.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 18
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SanDi...oductDetail.do

im gonna have to go with the sandisk. The bass is just so tight and controlled with crystal clear trebel, much better than the ipod could ever be. Even though I have never heard an Ipod I have no doubt that the sq is 10 times better out of the sandisk

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 18
The above post is an example of what I was referring to in my previous post. And if it's a joke, the sarcasm is hard to detect (although a quick look at the profile raises questions.)

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Even though I have never heard an Ipod I have no doubt that the sq is 10 times better out of the sandisk

You MUST be kidding.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
OK ***** it then

Well the truth is that the 5G iPod really IS a great sounding portable, and the video options (if you're properly equipped to rip your own DVDs with free software) are really really nice. It's a huge step up from ANY older iPod.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 18
Since no one has actually answered the original poster's question...

The problem isn't the sound quality of the iPod, it's the match or mismatch with the particular headphones you use. 3g iPods are not suited for use with in ear monitors. The solution is to get a set of headphones that works well with the iPod, or get a headphone amp (which will solve the problem of the mismatch).

Getting good sound isn't a matter of getting the "best sounding" whatever... It's putting together elements of the system that *works well together as a system*.

See ya
Steve

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
OK, I have two 3rd gen 40 gig iPods. I just bought a pair of of Shure e5c's and they sound great to me but I have read a bunch of people saying that a bunch of the other high capacity DAP's leave the iPod in the dust sonically.

What *really* sounds better?

p.s.
video and lots of other features (e.g. FM) don't matter to me

lies

you want better SQ get a portable amp, like SMv3 or Hornet. Believe me nothing is going to complete with that from a stand alone DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back