What DAC should I get to pair with Bottlehead Crack (under $300)?
Aug 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thunkerdo

New Head-Fier
I have never heard music come through a DAC.  I have just purchased the HD 650's and the Bottlehead Crack kit.  That's already a bunch of money.  Can I get by with something inexpensive like the Fiio E10?  Or would I notice a huge difference with something more expensive?  If so, what would you recommend that's under $300?  Or if I'm spending the money already, must I break the budget?  I really don't know how the DAC fits in this puzzle.

Here are some other DAC's I heard had good reviews that are under $300:  Modi ($99), the HRT Music Streamer II ($170), or Topping TP D2 TP-D2 ($135), Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC ($170), Standalone ODAC ($150).  I just don't know if they fit my stack.

My main source would be coming from USB.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I have HD600+ a tube amp quite similar to a Bottlehead Crack and I am very satisfied with my Tubemagic D2. I wouldn't cheap out on the source component (Fiio E10) now that you have such a nice setup.

Maybe just have a look at the forums and grab a deal when you spot it?

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Maybe just have a look at the forums and grab a deal when you spot it?

+1   If your patient, you could probably find a used Schiit Bifrost with USB for $300 or less.  I think pushing this budget gives a few advantages:

1) Better source to begin with

2) More functionality in case you want to add sources, hook into home stereo, etc.

3) With the Bifrost (and some other DACs) there will be future upgrades avaiable as technology improves.

That being said, you may be totally satisfied with a less expensive option.  It really depends how infected you are with the head-fi bug.  I own the Modi, and I think it is a great USB DAC for the price (better than my FiiO e17 by a long shot).  I do, however, notice significant improvement from my Bifrost and again the Gungir.  Your 650's and Crack are a great combo and are definitely good enough to reap the benefits of a high quality source.  

If it were me, my question would be:
Can I afford a high quality DAC now, or buy one that's "good enough for now" and space out the spending a bit?

My 2 cents... 

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a Aune T1 right now (amp/dac) but might temporarily get an ODAC. I am actually waiting for BH to release their DAC.

edit: I used to have the ODAC but did not really prefer it.  I cant remember if I had a solid state amp at that time and maybe it wasnt tubey enough for me or what, but I preferred the bifrost with the setup I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back