What DAC for my Mac/SM3
Oct 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Danseph

Head-Fier

Hello everyone,

I would like to get raid of that horrible annoying hissing sound that comes when I play ALAC encoded music with my iMac at low volume (something I do often)

After reading the forum, I'm inclined to go with two major product iBasso D12 or Apogee One.

Now, please keep in mind that I'm going to switch to a MacBook Air due to travel reasons, so I don't have a firewire port. Portability is important and the form factor of the iBasso seems reasonable to me.

Price I can put down is around 250 $ - 300 $. 

The most important is to get raid of this hissing sound and get the best out of my SM3s. Is it possible at this price? Thanks

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Are you gonna use a MacBook air and ALAC? I am pretty sure you will be running out of space pretty fast (unless music is on a external harddirve or something).

Anyway, I don't really get hiss on my SM3 and MacBook and the SM3 are pretty easy to drive, so you might wanna base your choise on the DAC rather than the amp.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with DACs and amps though.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your answer.

I'm currently using an iMac late 2007, so do you expect that Apple changed the DAC and improved upon it, because in my case, a piece of classical music played low is horrendous, especially since I've had the custom sleeves (never noticed it much before that).

My understanding is that both product mentionned are DAC/Amps. Is this correct and does anyone know if they'll allow me to get raid of that hiss.

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm, I don't know for sure if they changed it, but actually I think the new ones are a little better - but as I said, I'm not sure.

That is correct, they both have an amp as well a DAC. But since you are using the SM3 (which generally doesn't require an amp) and an iMac (i which case I assume you don't need the amp/Dac to be portable) I would suggest getting a nice dedicated source (DAC). Which source? I do not know. All I am saying is that you have a lot of options. Portable, not portable, DAC only, DAC/amp etc.

Btw. with "custom sleeves" you mean tips for the SM3? if so, how do you like 'em?

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Thank you for your post.

I don't wanna bore people with my life so I'll just go to the point. I'll be switching from an iMac to an MBA, but when I'll be listening to music, I will be in front of a desk, so it's true that I don't need a portable DAC, especially if they are cheaper or better for the budget I'm after.

Any recommandation?

---
As for the custom tips for the SM3, I had them made by Earsonics (figured I would stay with the manufacturer). Those are my first customs and made of hard acrylic. I personnally love them and they have brought my SM3s on a completely different level. The sound stage, the bass, the ability to distinguish instruments, the whole experience just reached a whole new level. It took me about a day or two to get adjusted to the hard material (maybe soft silicon is easier), but after two weeks with them, they feel like a pair of slipers and I can't possibly think of going back. It took me a couple of days to really appreciate it, but I'm so happy with the investment.

It's actually the reason why I'm now considering a DAC for the first time in my life! I just want to get the best sound, cos it's really an amazing experience.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 7
OK, let me give this thread a little bump.

After a little reasearch, I came up with a few options:

MagicDAC from Cambrdge Audio
Headroom Micro DAC
Musical Fidelity V-DAC
NuForce HDP

Some are over my budget, but I would be ready to wait/save until I can come up with the cash. I'm thinking this is a lifetime investment (please stop me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for letting me know what you think about those choices and if you have a better recommandation

EDIT- Added NuForce after Vitor's recommandation

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the v-Dac back home in Europe. But I have never heard it with the SM3 and you'll need and amp to go with most desktop DACs as well. If I were you I would just get the DAC and Amp that seams to have the best synergy with dark warm/dark and see how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back