What could be a better upgrade from SoundMagic PL-50
Aug 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mokies

New Head-Fier
Just came up in my mind what to buy when it's time for me to get another IEM.

I'm still eyeing for a Balanced Armature but much better than my PL-50.

Any suggestions?

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 9
My PL50s died and I just ordered a pair of MEElectronics A151s. Don't know about MUCH better, but also a single balanced armature and reportedly an upgrade from the PL50s, with a bit more bass and a braided cord that everyone raves about, and (hopefully) better build quality. And, only a couple bucks more if you search online. Check out the reviews by ljokerl and ClieOS. There are other balanced armature headphones for more $$ that would probably give more of an upgrade.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-spider-realvoice-added-august-11th-2011

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-91-portable-headphones-reviewed-marshall-major-urbanears-plattan-added-08-27

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not big on IEM's (onlooker at the moment, so my $0.02 isn't worth much)

But when shopping around I see SoundMagic with Dunu and Brainwavz all the time

I own some Brainwavz M1's which I love and have two extra pairs. I can tell you they are worth every penny.

But I'm also interested in the upper Brainwavz lineup, but don't feel like ordering them and then returning them from US to CHINA which is the only problem.

Brainwavz B2 looks really nice, but not sure of anything.

My $0.02

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 9
My PL50s died and I just ordered a pair of MEElectronics A151s. Don't know about MUCH better, but also a single balanced armature and reportedly an upgrade from the PL50s, with a bit more bass and a braided cord that everyone raves about, and (hopefully) better build quality. And, only a couple bucks more if you search online. Check out the reviews by ljokerl and ClieOS. There are other balanced armature headphones for more $$ that would probably give more of an upgrade.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-spider-realvoice-added-august-11th-2011

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-91-portable-headphones-reviewed-marshall-major-urbanears-plattan-added-08-27

I'm not big on IEM's (onlooker at the moment, so my $0.02 isn't worth much)

But when shopping around I see SoundMagic with Dunu and Brainwavz all the time

I own some Brainwavz M1's which I love and have two extra pairs. I can tell you they are worth every penny.

But I'm also interested in the upper Brainwavz lineup, but don't feel like ordering them and then returning them from US to CHINA which is the only problem.

Brainwavz B2 looks really nice, but not sure of anything.

My $0.02

I might look into A151s. I already have the M1s and B2s.

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Blah, i had written a nice long response but my browser crashed (&$#( Flash).

Anyway, short version: A151 nice buy at $50. Isolation disapointing(vented housing, hence siren, foam/tri-flange tips won't fix it), stock tips suck(go hybrids), tuning unique, worse then other single armatures in detail(i.e. similarly priced at MSRP er6i), ljokerl's review is spot on: warmth and noticeable grain in highs with lack of sparkle*sparkle. Splits difference between strengths/weakness of dynamic/armature in price range. Build quality decent, cable is unobtrusive/awesome, shiny chrome painted parts look cheap in person and I feel will chip off eventually.
I'm happy with mine after 4-5 months.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Blah, i had written a nice long response but my browser crashed (&$#( Flash).

Anyway, short version: A151 nice buy at $50. Isolation disapointing(vented housing, hence siren, foam/tri-flange tips won't fix it), stock tips suck(go hybrids), tuning unique, worse then other single armatures in detail(i.e. similarly priced at MSRP er6i), ljokerl's review is spot on: warmth and noticeable grain in highs with lack of sparkle*sparkle. Splits difference between strengths/weakness of dynamic/armature in price range. Build quality decent, cable is unobtrusive/awesome, shiny chrome painted parts look cheap in person and I feel will chip off eventually.
I'm happy with mine after 4-5 months.

I'll keep in my mind what you've written here. Maybe i'll go for used ones just to try it out and they're already burned in.

I never got an Etymotic, maybe i'll put it in my list, just for the record.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I'll keep in my mind what you've written here. Maybe i'll go for used ones just to try it out and they're already burned in.

I never got an Etymotic, maybe i'll put it in my list, just for the record.
biggrin.gif

Balanced armature 'phones do not need burn in. The sound does not change.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 9
It seems to me that the Spider Realvoice appears to be an upgrade from these, considering its sound signature?  I've never heard it, but from what I've read, it's relatively similar.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

Balanced armature 'phones do not need burn in. The sound does not change.

Maybe. But in the case of my PL-50 (which is a BA), it helped and it did improve in SQ. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back