What constitutes isolation?
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

d1ce

New Head-Fier
I've done some research on this and can't quite find what i'm looking for. It seems that IEMs are regualrly compared in terms of isolation. How can this be? Would it not be the tip and thus the fit that are ultimately the factors of isolation?

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Also worth noting is, not all IEM are 'closed' in design. Some are semi-opened and some are opened - those will allow sound to leak in.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Some of us take the public transportation very often and for long periods of time. Isolation helps to block out this outside noise so that we can enjoy our music.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well those are important factors in it but its not everything.

a big part is far in your ears they sit, the further in the more isolating usually

Interesting. So would the length of the tube have an impact?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also worth noting is, not all IEM are 'closed' in design. Some are semi-opened and some are opened - those will allow sound to leak in.

Rite, should have mentioned that.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 12
Without a seal, IEMs won't sound their best. When you put IEMs just in the open of your ear canal with music playing. They will sound bad. A good seal and isolation will allow you to hear the IEM's full potential.

Few factors determines isolation:
Fit, tips (universal , custom), material , insert depth, material thickness, and many more

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done some research on this and can't quite find what i'm looking for. It seems that IEMs are regualrly compared in terms of isolation. How can this be? Would it not be the tip and thus the fit that are ultimately the factors of isolation?

Yes, tips are the single biggest factor. When ppl say that, they are saying phone#1 isolate better than phone#2 GIVEN THE FACTORY PROVIDED TIPS, but the rest of us hardcores don't limit ourselves to factory tips.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, tips are the single biggest factor. When ppl say that, they are saying phone#1 isolate better than phone#2 GIVEN THE FACTORY PROVIDED TIPS, but the rest of us hardcores don't limit ourselves to factory tips.

Ahhh ok, that would make sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know an earphone's isolating when you almost get hit by a car or bus. That's how to measure quality at Head-fi -- earphones that can get you killed the fastest.

LOL!
tongue_smile.gif
I'll be sure to give that a try.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know an earphone's isolating when you almost get hit by a car or bus. That's how to measure quality at Head-fi -- earphones that can get you killed the fastest.

ahh so true

the number of times i almost **** myself walking along the road the suddenly a truck or bus hurtles by that i had utterly no idea was there

May 4, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 12
As above, its a combination

I have used Shure Olive tips with both Shure E4G (now sold) and Westone UM2, but the UM2 are vastly superior in isolation terms due to the way they sit flush... whereas the design of the E4G did not lend so well to such instant harmony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back