What computer speakers to get?
May 16, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 515
  So I saw this unboxing video, the controls are how I thought they'd be.  Nice.

I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'll get the Klipsch and the Swans, and pick the one I like better.

In 2014, I compared 3 headphones side by side, over 26 different songs, so I can do a similar comparison. 

I won't go that exhaustive this time though, since it's not my primary way to listen.

Right now, on the surface, the Klipsch seems to have wireless going for it (but 30 feet), while I like Swans controls.  I love the way you can mute it, easy muting is something I liked about my current speakers too.

Is there any other system that has wireless that's also good?  Maybe one that's more than 30 feet?

I don't think I'll use wireless now, but you never know what can happen in a few years.

Or maybe 30 feet is fine, because people don't really stream stuff to speakers farther away than that.

If I get both speakers, I'm going to both have them set up at the same time, so I can just switch between them when playing the audio.

Just for my reference, found this thread comparing them.

There's not much of a conclusion or consensus, oh well.

https://hardforum.com/threads/klipsch-pro-media-2-1-vs-swan-m505.1755380/

May 16, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 515

Yes, DT Incline built-in DAC support USB and Optical TosLink for digital input, the original package include speaker cable, 3.5 cable, usb cable, power cable.

Thinking more about darkforce's recommendation, is there something else with a built-in DAC, that is also wireless?

While I won't be using the wireless now, that's something that might change a few years from now, if my habits change, or I want audio for a wider audience.  I've had my current speakers for 16+ years, and I'd imagine if I keep my next pair for almost as long, having wireless seems like a good technology to have, for the future.

May 16, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 515

Thinking more about darkforce's recommendation, is there something else with a built-in DAC, that is also wireless?

While I won't be using the wireless now, that's something that might change a few years from now, if my habits change, or I want audio for a wider audience.  I've had my current speakers for 16+ years, and I'd imagine if I keep my next pair for almost as long, having wireless seems like a good technology to have, for the future.

KEF X300A Wireless has USB DAC and wireless, great sound but over your budget.  If you can accept wireless only (include Bluetooth), there will be a lot of speaker can choose.

May 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 515

KEF X300A Wireless has USB DAC and wireless, great sound but over your budget.  If you can accept wireless only (include Bluetooth), there will be a lot of speaker can choose.

Thanks for the recommendation.  $1000, yeah, over my budget.  But at least I know what else is out there.

What are a few other wireless options other than the Klipsch? 

If you could choose one, built in DAC or wireless, what would you choose, and why?

There's nothing that has both, that's good, around $500 or a little more?

May 17, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 515
I have the MM-1 and for near field listening they are pretty much unbeatable in this price range. Everything else has off the shelf silk tweeters and just cannot image like the MM-1. The Focal and the Klipsch models you listed are not even close and as well I would stay away from the Audioengine speakers, they are junk.

But as you mention the MM-1 don't have a subwoofer and they may not be loud enough for you. 

May 17, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #21 of 515
Originally Posted by nuraman00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you could choose one, built in DAC or wireless, what would you choose, and why?

There's nothing that has both, that's good, around $500 or a little more?

I will give priority to DAC, because it is related to sound quality, and wireless just for convenience.

If you can afford more, KEF X300A Wireless is great choice according to your needs. DT Incline or Sanlitun's recommendation B&W MM-1 both great for DAC only ,and I will recommend SONOS Play:1 for Wireless only.

BTW you can check KEF EGG and Focal Little Bird for $500, they both have DAC and wireless.

May 17, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #22 of 515
I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'll get the Klipsch and the Swans, and pick the one I like better.

Not sure if their features fit what you want, but I'd recommend demoing the JBL LSR 305 vs. the Klispch Promedias. Much, much better speaker, and if you google for reviews and testimonials, you'll find that people generally find them to be the best of the <$500 speaker class. They are rated 43 Hz-24 kHz, so they will have good deep bass for music without a sub.

May 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 515
  I have the MM-1 and for near field listening they are pretty much unbeatable in this price range. Everything else has off the shelf silk tweeters and just cannot image like the MM-1. The Focal and the Klipsch models you listed are not even close and as well I would stay away from the Audioengine speakers, they are junk.

But as you mention the MM-1 don't have a subwoofer and they may not be loud enough for you. 

Loudness isn't a priority.

I also have the Bowers and Wilkins P7 headphones, and I like the sound, so I trust the brand, and that's also why I listed the MM-1 as a possibility.

May 17, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 515
Bowers and Wilkins also has the A7, which is the wireless version of the MM1.  But there's a lot of complaints on Amazon about the wireless itself, and how AirPlay doesn't work.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-A7-Wireless-AirPlay/product-reviews/B009QSMRP8/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

I am not on iOS, but I wouldn't want something that doesn't really work with Apple, in case anyone else wanted to connect via Air Play.

EDIT:  It's also a single speaker, instead of a pair.

May 17, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 515
  I will give priority to DAC, because it is related to sound quality, and wireless just for convenience.

If you can afford more, KEF X300A Wireless is great choice according to your needs. DT Incline or Sanlitun's recommendation B&W MM-1 both great for DAC only ,and I will recommend SONOS Play:1 for Wireless only.

BTW you can check KEF EGG and Focal Little Bird for $500, they both have DAC and wireless.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've spent a little time looking into these. 

One observation I have is that the satellites for these appear to have no controls on them.

May 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #26 of 515
Not sure if their features fit what you want, but I'd recommend demoing the JBL LSR 305 vs. the Klispch Promedias. Much, much better speaker, and if you google for reviews and testimonials, you'll find that people generally find them to be the best of the <$500 speaker class. They are rated 43 Hz-24 kHz, so they will have good deep bass for music without a sub.

The reviews for this are really good.

The controls are on the back.

May 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 515
It seems like there's 3 things to consider:

* Built-in DAC
* Wireless
* 2.1 system

And for my suggested budget, I most likely will only find 2 of the 3.

Ok, I finally found a diagram for the Kef EGG, there are controls on the satellite.

http://www.kef.com/uploads/images/en/egg/qsg/KEF_EGG_QSG_preview_080515_2.pdf

I guess I can use the power button as a mute button.

May 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 515
Another question:  The Kef EGG has optical in.

The MM-1 does not.

How much of a factor would the optical connection from my computer make?

I don't mean to say that this is as equal as other factors, when determining the sound quality of speakers.  Just wondering how much emphasis I should give this.

May 17, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 515
The reviews for this are really good.

The controls are on the back.

Then either (a) use your keyboard or (b) get a pro-audio dac/pre amp to go with it: http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA. Then you can put it wherever you want it on your desk :)

BTW: I'm not a fan of wireless over wired. Typically you are paying for the convenience technology of the wireless. Built in DACs? With your budget, you can afford an external dac if you want.

May 17, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 515
Then either (a) use your keyboard or (b) get a pro-audio dac/pre amp to go with it: http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA. Then you can put it wherever you want it on your desk
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: I'm not a fan of wireless over wired. Typically you are paying for the convenience technology of the wireless. Built in DACs? With your budget, you can afford an external dac if you want.

This brings up another question I was thinking about, even before I read this response.

For speakers that have built-in DACs, is using that better than a sound card's DAC processing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back