What computer speakers to get?
Nov 19, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #166 of 515
WiFi has a much greater power consumption than Bluetooth so a portable source wouldn't last long when playing music through WiFi. However if both source and speakers are wired to the power grid, WiFi is undeniably superior.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #167 of 515

I auditioned the JBL LSR308 and the Airmotiv 6s.

This post explains why I chose the Airmotiv 6s:  post #139

The Airmotiv 6s is 13" high vs. 16" for the RP-160M, so that might help.

I also read about the RP-160M when I was researching.

How did you connect them, and from what?

The Creative X7 can directly drive 8 ohm passives, I have the optional creative 144w power supply so that gives the amp extra oomph to fill out the low end on speakers. The Klipsch RP160M are remarkably sensitive speakers: efficiency is somewhere around 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m, not many passive speakers can get anywhere near that.The Creative X7 allows you to connect speakers with either bare wire or banana plugs [which is the classier option IMO]. the X7 is currently connected to my laptop through USB.

Currently listing to: Hans Zimmer - Hello Beastie.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #169 of 515
I've heard aptx is closest so far to CD quality however

APTX also has a latency that can be anywhere from 32ms to 100ms, so if you're also watching a movie or music video things can get horribly out of sync.

Also, APTX must be incorporated in both sender and receiver to obtain the enhanced sound quality, otherwise you are in a crap in>crap out situation.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #170 of 515
Seems the company is trying to allow multiple wls systems to be used with the new send series...airplay, wifi Bluetooth (and FLAC/alac was, aac etc)

http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/show/riva/Speakers/wand-series/festival/arena/Home_Audio/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/highres-audio/riva-unveils-wand-series-multispace-audio-system-speakers-prices-start-at-249/34631

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #171 of 515
  WiFi has a much greater power consumption than Bluetooth so a portable source wouldn't last long when playing music through WiFi. However if both source and speakers are wired to the power grid, WiFi is undeniably superior.

I see.  So if it's a battery powered portable source, then the power consumption of WiFi would be too great for the source to last many hours.

But if it's a source that is electrically powered, then it would be feasible.

That's what you're saying, right?

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #172 of 515

I auditioned the JBL LSR308 and the Airmotiv 6s.

This post explains why I chose the Airmotiv 6s:  post #139

The Airmotiv 6s is 13" high vs. 16" for the RP-160M, so that might help.

I also read about the RP-160M when I was researching.

How did you connect them, and from what?

The Creative X7 can directly drive 8 ohm passives, I have the optional creative 144w power supply so that gives the amp extra oomph to fill out the low end on speakers. The Klipsch RP160M are remarkably sensitive speakers: efficiency is somewhere around 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m, not many passive speakers can get anywhere near that.The Creative X7 allows you to connect speakers with either bare wire or banana plugs [which is the classier option IMO]. the X7 is currently connected to my laptop through USB.

Currently listing to: Hans Zimmer - Hello Beastie.

Thank you. 

Just thinking about how different devices have different type of connectors.

Are there pros and cons to having a connector that uses bare wire, banana plugs, or RCA cables?

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #173 of 515

Don't Bluetooth compress sound?

If so, wouldn't Wi Fi be the preferred wireless connectivity option?

APTX also has a latency that can be anywhere from 32ms to 100ms, so if you're also watching a movie or music video things can get horribly out of sync.

Also, APTX must be incorporated in both sender and receiver to obtain the enhanced sound quality, otherwise you are in a crap in>crap out situation.

Seems the company is trying to allow multiple wls systems to be used with the new send series...airplay, wifi Bluetooth (and FLAC/alac was, aac etc)

http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/show/riva/Speakers/wand-series/festival/arena/Home_Audio/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/highres-audio/riva-unveils-wand-series-multispace-audio-system-speakers-prices-start-at-249/34631

Thanks for the info.

If they are allowing WiFi, what about the concerns theveterans raised in post #166?

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #174 of 515
The gap in power usage is huge, but it's still small for a modern smartphone/tablet/laptop. I made a portable wireless hard drive with a 10000mah battery and even sending hd video to multiple users it lasts at least a day.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #175 of 515
well someone has offered me US$210 for a pair of excellent condition audioengine a5+
(no remote)....is moving..not too shabby...could also use them as l/r speakers for when
i get my new tv, too, eventually.

still alot of love for audioengine 5+?
dar still recommends them in his xmas gift guide
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/dars-holiday-gift-guide-2016/

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #176 of 515
A5+'s are fantastic multimedia speakers aka nothing sounds bad on them, even tv sounds really good. They aren't the most resolving things in the world but they can still make your couch shake during movies without a sub which is always a plus. And of course all genres of music sound good, even internet radio streams.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #177 of 515
I have a pair of 5+s that have been nice over the last few years but they have been retired in favor of a pair of Focal Alpha 50s that sound amazing for the price. The ability to shelf the treble and bass up or down makes tuning for a specific placement easy. Very resolving but will show no mercy to a bad source. I have them on my desktop and typically stream Tidal through my Mac and a Dragonfly DAC. My A5+s now sit on the other wall of my office and are used for my EWI. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #179 of 515
got the white audioengine 5+ mint for only $US187.
can't beat that price

when i told my bud (who once had the US$70k system) they were to be my desktop speakers
he laughed...said definitely not desktop speakers size...bookshelf, yes, desktop no.
I'm going to have fun with them anyway on my desktop (despite it being on the smallish side)

and yes: audioengine did note in a reply to me that they sound their best 6' apart.
oh, well...i can always sell them if things don't work out.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #180 of 515
Decided to try to look for a pair of emotiva airmotiv 4s then sell the audioengine s...going to prob keep the pioneer SW 8mk2 subwoofer to add some meat to miss and bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back