What component's do you believe make a difference?
Mar 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #121 of 122
I agree with most that the headphone or speakers make the most difference, but many other things can change the sound too. The least noticeable are the simplest - the cables (...unless you have very poor ones with nasty quality connectors).

I actually read the first post just after I had been playing about with an old cassette deck (...do you remember those?) and it made me smile to think that some people might not understand that the source really does make a difference! Record sounds different to cassette sounds different to CD sounds different to MP3 sounds different to reel-to-reel!

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #122 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, you got a point that mainstream rock music playing the loudness war completely defeats the whole purpose of having high end gear.

I don't listen to rock, but the latest album from Lee Fields is unbearable on CD...everything's clipping to death and sounds loud and flat as can be
frown.gif

I whined to his manager, and he told me that I should buy the vinyl if I don't like the CD mastering...pathetic.

Headache of my musical experience. Plus, being in Hong Kong, I don't have the flexibility - small apartments, very limited vinyl distribution and heightened costs of importing from overseas due to larger parcel size. I just want better music, and someone tells me it's available but you'll have to go through all this to get it when I don't see any reason you couldn't distribute it more conveniently... It's not like a headphone system that has to be designed, tested and built...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back