What Chinese DAP would you recommend...
Nov 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BassThor

100+ Head-Fier
if I put these terms:

- Battery life does NOT matter
- Sound quality MATTERS (wont use amp)
- ebook is a must (hence touch screen would also be nice but not a must..)
- memory card slot would be nice.
- Price max 150$ included shipping
confused_face_2.gif

I'd really like to hear from you teclast and onda owners!!

If you are wondering it's for my girlfriend whom, when I calculated yesterday, uses about 300$ on books a year... Lets stop tearing down the forest time.

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Why must it be Chinese ? And to ne very honest though it may be made or manufactured in China, I can guarantee its parts inside it will be outsourced from another country eg its DAC, screen etc

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 9
If you really want eBooks support, get a Kindle/Nook/whatever Sony has. It'll be a lot more comfortable in the long run on the eyes, especially since you're basically starting into a lightbulb with a DAP. Especially based on the amount of books that your girlfriend reads, it's a good investment. Just get any cheap DAP that you can find for your girlfriend if she really needs music (Fuse, Clip, cheaper Sony DAPs).

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want eBooks support, get a Kindle/Nook/whatever Sony has. It'll be a lot more comfortable in the long run on the eyes, especially since you're basically starting into a lightbulb with a DAP. Especially based on the amount of books that your girlfriend reads, it's a good investment. Just get any cheap DAP that you can find for your girlfriend if she really needs music (Fuse, Clip, cheaper Sony DAPs).

Haven't thought of that one, thanks for the notice.. If I get the AMP3 then I'll give my Cowon D2 to my girl I guess.
icon10.gif

Albinoni: Because I'm a gadjeteer and a lot of the pmp's on the Chinese markets looks great on paper! Also, she is (like a lot of other people) absorbed by the iPod bubble, although I know there is a little "techie nerd" inside her.. I just have to appeal to make it come out sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 9
The Chinese PMP business has evolved rather significantly over the last couple of years. Today, rather than looking at particular brands, you need to look at platforms, that is, the underlying hardware many manufacturers are sharing.

Right now, you've got players built on platforms from Rockchip, Telechips, SoChip, and ChinaChip. Typically, companies are partial to one or the other, but for example in the case of Teclast, they're all fair game. Earlier this year, the hottest platform was the ChinaChip 1600 (with Cirrus Logic audio codec) and players from Teclast, Onda, Ainol, and others were all using it; indeed, internally, they were identical. Same is true for Telechips players...inside, the same.

The point is that each platform will have its strengths and weaknesses. Audio in one may not be so hot (SoChip players, for example, do not feature independent audio codecs) while video in another may be sizzling (the current Telechips package promises full 1080p playback and features a Wolfson codec). For e-reading, well, they all have it, but you need to browse some of the forums dedicated to Chinese PMPs (usually attached to an online shop) and search for e-book/e-reader threads...there's quite a few.

The nice thing about Chinese players -beyond the low prices- is that the market is currently so focused on video playback, you basically start off at a 4.3" screen and go up from there...5.0, 7.0 and one company just announced an 8.9" player
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Yep, Teclast T51 aka Nationite S:Flo 2 looks quite nice...

MP4Nation have free worldwide shipping http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.p...roducts_id=362

You can read about it on their forums. Seems like there were quite a few firmware bugs (as can be expected from speedily released Chinese DAPs) but most of them have been dealt with.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
8GB Apple iPod nano maybe?
Made in China, price below $150 shipped, good sound quality (even support lossless audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back