What CD player/TT do you use with your RS-1's? (or any Grado's)
Apr 20, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

squall2072

500+ Head-Fier
Title basically says it all,

What does everyone use to source their Grado's?

I'm running a Rega Planet Mk1 with my RS-1's at the moment which suppesses their highest damaging highs but I think its definately holding the bass and soundstage back a bit.

The midrange though! Oh the midrange!!!
basshead.gif

Planet + Tubes + RS-1 = Midrange heaven!

So what do you use and what effect do you think its having on your Grado's? Good and/or bad? And what do you think will be your next source?

Dean

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 14
Redbook: Shanling CD T100 heavily modified, using Bendix Redbank 6385's to an EAR HP4

Vinyl: J.A. Michell Gyrodec with Orbe platter/bearing, SME V arm, Koestu Black cartridge to an EAR 834p phono using Telefunkens to the EAR HP4.

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Cary 306-200 --> Wolff silver&gold IC --> Melos Maestro --> RS-1

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Please check my profile for various sources. You'll find my TT in there.

One point of note. I've recently acquired a Sony D5A that has comported itself beyond what I felt were reasonable expectations. [A caveat - the player definitely benefits from quality ICs and Walker SST on the RCA connectors.] I've used it at both work as well as in my mainly vintage bedroom system (centered by a Fisher 800B receiver- the D5A seems to pair well with the Fisher's tubes). I continue to be impressed with the D5A's headphone and home system versatility, esp. for a product that's so senior.

I'm hoping this weekend may allow it some play time in my main speakered system, which should provide opportunity for an even better assessment of its capabilities.
[EDIT: After running the D5A in my main speakered rig, the Sony has revealed some deficiets, esp. notable in the upper end. However, the D5A still has utility in my bedroom system and as an office/headphone player.]

Regarding the Sony D5A's headphone utility, it has no problem driving my Grado 325i phones unamped and has proudly acquitted itself. I note I've used it both amped and unamped.

Happy listening!

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Source 1 -VPI HW-19 Mk3 with JMW-9 Signature tonearm, Dynavector DX20h, Graham Slee Era Gold V phono pre-amp,

Source 2 - Arcam FMJ CD23T cd player,

Source 3 - Magnum Dynalab MD90T tuner,

all feeding Aesthetix Calypso pre-amp for source selection, Mapletree Audio Ear + Purist HD

Grado RS-1, Allessandro MS-2, Grado HF-1

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Eastsound E5->WNA MKII-> RS-1

Sounds great, with crystal clear sound... but could use a touch of warmth

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 14
When I had my RS-1 and RA-1, they sounded great with my Rega P5. I think my sig was actually "Rega + Grado = Rock On!" for a while.

Now enjoy my Stax far more than I ever did the Grados, though, and the P5 shines with them is well. It's really a great TT.

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Wow! Some very good sources feeding those Grado's! Good to see
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you happy with your sources?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back