What car do you guys drive?
Apr 6, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #31 of 41
This is my philosophy after years of car ownership.

1. Buy a commonly driven daily driver that is guaranteed that any mechanic would have experience in or easy to source parts. This will make everything really easy in terms of repairs, etc... You will save a lot of money on parts and repair costs since they are so common to repair.

2. Anything exhotic or sporty, do not use as daily driver, and only own it if you can store it safely like in a garage. Do not buy these cars for daily usage, but for recreational limited usage. Limited usage will lower the chances of something going wrong. If you park on the street outside, do not buy these cars because you will get it dinged or banged up.
The C200 is a great daily driver despite its shortcomings, but my next new car will definitely be a Japanese make.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #32 of 41
The C200 is a great daily driver despite its shortcomings, but my next new car will definitely be a Japanese make.
I think German luxury vehicles are for those either wealthy or really appreciate them (to the point of wanting to own one), and understand the risk associated when they age in terms of maintenance costs.

Speaking of maintenance costs,I always wanted a GTR, but I heard the maintenance is quite expensive. This is different from everyday drive vehicles we normally use. It's not really all that practical to drive something like this frequenly, and we also have to consider where you live. If the roads suck with lots of stops and goes, I don't see a reason to have a sporty car. You want an environment where is fun to take them out for a ride with good roads, not crappy roads that can wear out the car much faster.

Maintenance cost of GTR of course is nowhere near Bugatti Veyron

These days, electric cars have so much torque that can pull as hard a exotic sports cars. I recently saw a video of a Tesla beating a Lambo on a drag race.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #33 of 41
1. Buy a commonly driven daily driver that is guaranteed that any mechanic would have experience in or easy to source parts. This will make everything really easy in terms of repairs, etc... You will save a lot of money on parts and repair costs since they are so common to repair.

2. Anything exhotic or sporty, do not use as daily driver, and only own it if you can store it safely like in a garage. Do not buy these cars for daily usage, but for recreational limited usage. Limited usage will lower the chances of something going wrong. If you park on the street outside, do not buy these cars because you will get it dinged or banged up.

Speaking of maintenance costs,I always wanted a GTR, but I heard the maintenance is quite expensive. This is different from everyday drive vehicles we normally use. It's not really all that practical to drive something like this frequenly, and we also have to consider where you live. If the roads suck with lots of stops and goes, I don't see a reason to have a sporty car. You want an environment where is fun to take them out for a ride with good roads, not crappy roads that can wear out the car much faster.

Maintenance cost of GTR of course is nowhere near Bugatti Veyron

These days, electric cars have so much torque that can pull as hard a exotic sports cars. I recently saw a video of a Tesla beating a Lambo on a drag race.

Couple misconceptions since I daily and have two high end Audi's I posted above (RS7 & R8). Yes they can be expensive to repair but the newer cars are not like the older ones. I've had minimal hiccups in either car they've been pretty much problem free. Plus you have a warranty. Secondly, buying any significantly older car (8+ years) of course things are going to wear down and it'll cost to keep the car running optimally. Do you expect a part on a 100k car to be the same as a 20k car? It's of course going to be more expensive to repair and maintain. That's usually the primary reason for their resale to tank as they get older. Get in cheap but you'll pay to keep it running.

As for not daily driving because of it getting "dinged or banged up." There's a risk any time you take any car out something can happen. However, it's just a car, and I bought it for my enjoyment. Unless you bought an F50, P1, or some stupid ultra rare/expensive car that has the potential to appreciate you're better off driving it. It'll lose value just sitting there over time. Rain or shine I take my cars out. Life's too short to drive boring cars. My '17 R8 has almost 25,000 miles and climbing. It's been on date nights, auto cross, drag racing, an actual race track (Sebring), and I've taken it on a road trip. The day I sell it I can at least look back and say I enjoyed the heck out of it rather than just looking at it in a garage and wondering if I should have driven it more.

As for a GT-R, the maintenance is not that expensive. I had one for four years. Brakes are the only pricey thing on maintenance. Oil changes and tires are just like any other sports car. If you really are interested in one shoot me a PM I can talk to you about ownership. My previous GT-R is in my profile avatar photo. I also daily drove that thing. Here's a nice road trip my wife and I took it to the Tail of the Dragon (over 300 turns in 11 miles).

14242473_553275366643_8812212610850594475_o.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #34 of 41
Couple misconceptions since I daily and have two high end Audi's I posted above (RS7 & R8). Yes they can be expensive to repair but the newer cars are not like the older ones. I've had minimal hiccups in either car they've been pretty much problem free. Plus you have a warranty. Secondly, buying any significantly older car (8+ years) of course things are going to wear down and it'll cost to keep the car running optimally. Do you expect a part on a 100k car to be the same as a 20k car? It's of course going to be more expensive to repair and maintain. That's usually the primary reason for their resale to tank as they get older. Get in cheap but you'll pay to keep it running.

As for not daily driving because of it getting "dinged or banged up." There's a risk any time you take any car out something can happen. However, it's just a car, and I bought it for my enjoyment. Unless you bought an F50, P1, or some stupid ultra rare/expensive car that has the potential to appreciate you're better off driving it. It'll lose value just sitting there over time. Rain or shine I take my cars out. Life's too short to drive boring cars. My '17 R8 has almost 25,000 miles and climbing. It's been on date nights, auto cross, drag racing, an actual race track (Sebring), and I've taken it on a road trip. The day I sell it I can at least look back and say I enjoyed the heck out of it rather than just looking at it in a garage and wondering if I should have driven it more.

As for a GT-R, the maintenance is not that expensive. I had one for four years. Brakes are the only pricey thing on maintenance. Oil changes and tires are just like any other sports car. If you really are interested in one shoot me a PM I can talk to you about ownership. My previous GT-R is in my profile avatar photo. I also daily drove that thing. Here's a nice road trip my wife and I took it to the Tail of the Dragon (over 300 turns in 11 miles).

14242473_553275366643_8812212610850594475_o.jpg
I want a GTR so damn bad. But even the 2009 model year is still quite out of my budget. I mean unless I financed it for 7 years...and I just don't want to do that. I financed my 370z for 3 years, so I'm paying a lot of money every month but it'll be paid off this year. Hell but it's still depreciated way more than I thought it would even in 3 years! Cars suck haha

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #35 of 41
This got my attention lately. I don't know how they brought the cost down to such level with super car performance, but this is the Corvette I would want. Design looks so much better than the ones from the past. Lots of cool features on the vehicle. Just look at this thing!

One car I would not touch is the new Supra, or should we say BMW. I can't believe they put BMW mechanics and selling it off as a Supra! Why not just get a beamer? The new Supra cannot replace the classic Japanese beast. I will say though, the original supra wasn't much of a looker, but could be turned into a beast due to the mechanical toughness it had to take on mods, and easy chip mod that could be done. The new exterior design certainly looks better, but the heart is not there.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #36 of 41
The new Supra is a better car than the Mark IV in literally every way. Accounting for inflation its even cheaper. I’m literally sick to death of seeing nIcE bMw on every single article concerning the new Supra on Facebook. That B58 BMW engine is a beast and is just as easy to get HP out of as the old 2JZ.

Apr 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #37 of 41
I want a GTR so damn bad. But even the 2009 model year is still quite out of my budget. I mean unless I financed it for 7 years...and I just don't want to do that. I financed my 370z for 3 years, so I'm paying a lot of money every month but it'll be paid off this year. Hell but it's still depreciated way more than I thought it would even in 3 years! Cars suck haha

If you can afford one it's not likely to drop any more in value so in essence it's a free car. The Corvette is a great platform too. Been there done that. I'm waiting to see what the Z06/ZR1 variant does. If they can match a 720S I'm down. The older generations are definitely fun cars. Had a C6 and a C7. Here's my monster the C6 with a blower and a 6 speed manual. Fastest car to date I've owned. You can snag one for around $20k these days easy. Don't mind the horrible footage...but love listening to the blower whine and snarl. Second video my stock C7 Z51 against my boosted C6. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 41
If you can afford one it's not likely to drop any more in value so in essence it's a free car. The Corvette is a great platform too. Been there done that. I'm waiting to see what the Z06/ZR1 variant does. If they can match a 720S I'm down. The older generations are definitely fun cars. Had a C6 and a C7. Here's my monster the C6 with a blower and a 6 speed manual. Fastest car to date I've owned. You can snag one for around $20k these days easy. Don't mind the horrible footage...but love listening to the blower whine and snarl. Second video my stock C7 Z51 against my boosted C6. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hell yeah dude a C6 is the current performance bargain king. Even a Z06 is pretty cheap.

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #39 of 41
This is my philosophy after years of car ownership.

911s are great daily driver cars. Well my new 991.2 GT3RS isn't as good as my old 997.2 Carrera GTS for daily driving, but it's still more comfortable than cars like a Lotus or Viper. Gas mileage is surprisingly good for the Carrera lineup too. I used to get low to mid 20s while cruising along and not driving like an asshole. I get much worse mileage out of my Lexus work car.

Apr 11, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #40 of 41
IMO the best cars are the ones with a rear camera and view screen on the dash board. It’s makes reverse shift parking so much easier and can prevent reverse shifting fender benders too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back