What Cans are good strictly for music listening?
Mar 28, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 31
Well,....I've only had my Alessandro MS-1 for little over a week, and have exactly zero experence with any other serious set of cans, and I did purchase these due to the perceived(born out to be accurate)assesment of similarity in sound with my home theater system. And they are a close match to my Axiom speaker system.

They are a fun set of phones, certainly a bit foreward and perhaps a little bright, but apparently not as foreward or as bright as the other Grado cans in this price range. I find the MS-1s to give a good even presentation with no obvious sonic flaws that cause My ears discomfort.

They do rock outstandingly, and,(surprize surprize)do a credible job on every other type of music I've ran thru them in mine, and my wifes, and the kids varried collections!!

Again; I have no input on any other earphone, but I feel the MS-1s are a good set of cans for consideration.

They work splendidly in the vaccuum which is my house!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 31
Used Grado SR-225 or Alessandro MS-1! Can't go wrong with either.

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 31
DT990 pro
biggrin.gif
!!! (probably a used one) or $157 new from amazon
tongue.gif

They really rock!! They sound rather bad unamped but very nice with my GoVibe(or probably other comparable amp). Has almost as much energy as the Grado SR225 but with wider soundstage and better bass IMO.

Without amp you'll be better off with used SR225 IMO. The SR225 have a bit better vocals. They also have the most energy I've heard so far. Haven't heard the MS1 before.

The Senns are great, but I won't describe them as fun and lively.

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Besides naming the Cans, can you please state why the can is good for its price and what type of quality it brings.

Hmm, your question is a bit broad. It's hard, at least as I see it, to really come up with anything other than "I think it sounds good with music and is in your price range".

So I kinda see it that either 1, it's up to you to do the research on the cans people are suggesting or 2, give a more specific question and people can be clearer on why they're recommending stuff...

Good luck mate,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

the ms-1 is actually better than the grado's 125,555,a500 striclty for music right?

Depends on the kind of music you listen to.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 31
Question is, what kind of music you listen?

There are headphones with sound signature generally suitable for rock, (Grado products. Fun and tight, but brightness might turn some people away)
headphones with sound signature generally suitable for classical. (Smooth and soothing. Most Sennheisers and some Beyerdynamics)

And there are headphones that have no coloring to direction or other whatsoever so they are basically suitable for everything (and play music with sound it is recorded) but might be boring with their analytic attidute. (Generally AKG and some Beyerdynamic)

Then there are Bass heavy products for bassy music. (Another head of fun-sound. Some Koss, some AKG, some Beyerdynamics, some Sennheisers)

Alessandro's are modified Grado products. They have bright Rock signature of Grados, but are more balanced so they are suitable for practically everything without being boring when you want to rock your socks off. Soundstage is very small though, just like Grados.

Again, what music you generally listen to?

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

the ms-1 is actually better than the grado's 125,555,a500 striclty for music right?

Not necessarily. personally its my preference to those cans. The MS1 has a smoother sound, less bass bloat and less forward mids than a comparably priced Grado SR. I found it warmer overall than the SR125, based on meet impressions. I have an MS1 on the way so I'll be able to post more detailed comments in the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back