What Canalphone has the least wind noise while bicycling?
Jun 24, 2005 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

James63

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for canalphones with have the least wind noise while riding a bike. (please refrain from commenting on my safety). I will be riding down hill at ski resorts in the off season so I only have to look out for bears (not cars). I would like to use them straight out of an ipod, but I also have a Total Airhead I could use if necessary. I would like to keep it under $500 US but it is flexible. I use E2cs right now but it is just not working out. Once I hit 30mph the wind noise is just to loud and it is all down hill from there
rolleyes.gif

What I am really looking for are canalphones that sit flush with the ear. I am considering custom IEMs but I do not want to go that rout if I don’t need to.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm pretty sure the E3c and E4c aren't flush with the ear (although may not have wind noise issues)...the E5c is in a similar enclosure as the E2c and may not be any better.

Not sure what to say, since the E2c is already kind of flush with the ear. I can hear the wind while walking fast with my ER-6 with foam tips, so those are almost certainly out. UE Super.fi 5s maybe? I can't really give you anything concrete since I've not tried any of them, only suggesting what I've seen from pictures and reviews.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 25
I've tried ER-4s, E4Cs, E2Cs, EX71s, HJE50s, ER-6s, and ER-6Is, and I have to say the ER-6/ER-6is (not with foamies) have the least wind noise. They go so far into my ear that there isn't even any wind noise at all. I recommend ER-6is with shure e3c/e4c/e5c ultra-soft flex sleeves, personally.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 25
I am looking for something more high-end than the ER-6is, but I will not rule them out.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 25
Maybe the ER-4P then? I could never get my ER-6 very far in with the biflanges. It would hurt like hell and be very difficult to remove without tugging on the cable, which is quite bad for the ER-6. So, YMMV I guess.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
I am looking for something more high-end than the ER-6is, but I will not rule them out.

It might be pretty hard to notice differences in sound quality when going 30 miles per hour on a bicycle. It's kind of hard for me to hear how much better ER-4s sound without critical listening and amplification, and I think my ER-6is sound about 95% as good as my e4cs, and even outclass them for some types of music. In any event, I like all of them more than e2cs. The other high-end canalphones are going to have tons of wind noise, though, especially the ER-4s and Super-Fi, and I know I'd be scared of making a mistake while riding and wrecking UE-10s or something, if I had those.

Jun 24, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 25
the er4p/s with the earhugger mod has no wind noise, no cord noise, zilch, zero. i've used it many times on my bike.

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
It might be pretty hard to notice differences in sound quality when going 30 miles per hour on a bicycle.

I am not that concerned with sound quality while riding (just don’t want extra noise) but I will also use them at the gym. I just figured I would get an audio upgrade and at the same time hopefully reduce wind noise.

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
I am looking for canalphones with have the least wind noise while riding a bike. (please refrain from commenting on my safety). I will be riding down hill at ski resorts in the off season so I only have to look out for bears (not cars).

Well, traffic is not the only thing I'd be worried about. If you fall, you have something sticking deep in your ear that may cause damage. If the cable gets stuck somewhere you will experience the most unpleasant experience of having a canalphone ripped out of your canal (believe me: it sucks), something that may also cause significant damage.
Even if you are a super safe rider, the microphonics will make the experience pure torture. Put your fingers in your ears. Now jump up and down, or walk. Now think about the vibration on your bike. Still want something that seals your earcanal?
Conclusion: Anything that is not custom molded is unlikely to be totally flush with the ear. Anything that does not run its cable over your ear and down your back will also most likely give you wind noise. Think about some clip-ons that utilize earbuds.

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
It might be pretty hard to notice differences in sound quality when going 30 miles per hour on a bicycle. It's kind of hard for me to hear how much better ER-4s sound without critical listening and amplification, and I think my ER-6is sound about 95% as good as my e4cs, and even outclass them for some types of music. In any event, I like all of them more than e2cs. The other high-end canalphones are going to have tons of wind noise, though, especially the ER-4s and Super-Fi, and I know I'd be scared of making a mistake while riding and wrecking UE-10s or something, if I had those.

The er-6i should be arriving to my door anytime now. I have been enjoying the er-6 and er4p/s as well. I would get the E4 if it wasn't so expensive specially when I read that they are a tad bit better than the er-6i. I paid $85 for my er-6i. I would have to play close to $180 for the E4. The er-6 and er-6i have very thin wires. I love it because the microphonics on the cable are so low from contact and from wind.

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 25
Actually the wind makes the 6i cables oscillate, contributing to microphonics. If you must do it, the behind-the-ear arrangement of the Shures make more sense. The retaining arrangement might interfere with the head retension system of most helmets. You do wear a helmet, don't you?

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
You do wear a helmet, don't you?

Helmets won't help with the bears
evil_smiley.gif

... but actually downhill racing is one of the very few opportunities where even I would say a helmet makes sense. Otherwise its pretty pointless unless you also wear a helmet while driving a car or doing the dishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back