What can the K701 be likened to?
Jan 31, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HypnoLobster

100+ Head-Fier
I realise that telling actual thoughts on what a pair of headphones sounds like to your ears is more or less not too useful (but still fun to listen to).
So, what can you liken the sound to? From what little I have read, they seem to have much the same abilities as DT880's. Neutral, especially on bass, but with all around better sound.

I have quite a love for sparkly, present highs.

Anything, really would be nice to read about. I really am interested in them. Random excited babbling and angered bashing. Have at it! Please!

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It reminds me of toilets.

That's true, but it's more like a pair of headphones.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It reminds me of toilets.

Maybe, but it sounds by far better
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 11
they indeed sound a bit more like the beyer dt880 than like their own uncles (k501). compared to the dt880 there is more bass, less sparkly highs, more "fullness" all around - and even more room.

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 11
I haven't heard it yet, but everything I read says it sounds exactly midway between 650's and 880's

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Vaporware. It's been an interminable wait for their appearance so far.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 11
First, I dont think the 701 looks bad at all in person. The fit is very comfortable. The sound reminds me more of my senn 600's ..... but with more upper frequency extension and a more neutral balance from the bass through the lower midrange.

The 701 is very transparent and can sound fast ..... or more laid back and easy going ..... depending on what tube set I have in my amps. The bass has less weight than the senn 600 but can be very impactful, depending on what amp, and tube set is driving them.

Compared to the dt880 I find the treble balance is much better. The 701 also has more midrange body than the dt880 ...... but still sounds neutral and uncolored. The 701 is just an excellent all round performer. When you add all the positives and the fact the headphone has no obvious flaws ..... the 701 is a definite winner.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 11
I think K701 is a 'phone just begging to be powered balanced. It has no real flaws or glaring problems, and everything is resolved, smooth, airy, and seemingly balanced.

But for some reason, I didn't find it as "fun" or "involving" as say Grado PS-1 or balanced Senns. I can see something like GS-X balanced or Dynamight bring out a little more bass authority and PRAT along with more density of images, in which case balanced K701 will be quite a thing to behold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back