What can Grado improve for their next line of headphones??
Feb 17, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 53
Regarding the looks, as my friend once said, "they look very... audiophile." They look as if they were designed to sound good, not look flashy. And youy know what? To my ears, they succeed. And as for comfort, maybe I have a strange head, but I can barely tell I have them on, if not for the gorgeous sound entering my ears.

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #47 of 53
Except the sound it is the look that I like most about Grados! I love the retrostyle.
Is's way more flashy for me then for example Sennheiser.

Grados are hate or love 'em headphones! Both with the look and the sound. Fortunately I love both the look and the sound. But they could improve the buildquality a little.

Feb 17, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #48 of 53
Grados look great!!

As for comfort, I believe Grado (either Joe or John, I forget) once said that he could either design a headphone that sounded good or was comfortable. He decided to go with the former.

My only complaint would be problems with the occasional shrilling highs, pads, and the fact that they should bring back screws when adjusting the headphone, a la HP-1000.

Feb 17, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #49 of 53
I honestly couldn't care less about looks. If they're full-size headphones, you won't be taking them outside anyway!! What I do wish is that the build was better. The Sony V6 my friend has is built like a fort. The Grados need improvement especially in the headband area. The rotating cups are cool, but very flimsy.

In terms of pads, my take on this is that John AT LEAST should offer the flat pads as an accessory/replacement.

Feb 19, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #50 of 53
Take the RS-1 speakers and put them into an HD650 frame. I can go 8-12 hours with my HD650, but after about two hours with my RS-1, my ears are on fire from those bowls. So basically, my first two hours of listening is with my RS-1, then I switch to my HD650 for the rest of the day/night. Annoying.

Hmm. I wonder if anyone's ever tried that. Removed the speakers from their RS-1 and put them inside a nice comfy Senn headset.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #51 of 53
i use flat pads now but i could still use a little more comfort, i often listen to them for hours at a time and by then they start to hurt my ears a little. its sort of a double edged sword with the spartan comfort to achieve better sound for the money. if you get such good sound people are gonna want to listen to them for hours on end, hence they need to be reasonably comfortable. given, i probably wouldnt sell them even for the amount i bought them for, but i do think theres room for improvement in any product so maybe some slight comfort issues, and the stupid twisty cord.

Feb 19, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by jinxed84
i use flat pads now but i could still use a little more comfort, i often listen to them for hours at a time and by then they start to hurt my ears a little. its sort of a double edged sword with the spartan comfort to achieve better sound for the money. if you get such good sound people are gonna want to listen to them for hours on end, hence they need to be reasonably comfortable. given, i probably wouldnt sell them even for the amount i bought them for, but i do think theres room for improvement in any product so maybe some slight comfort issues, and the stupid twisty cord.

Yeah, you've got the SR225's which have a lot of clamping force with their headband. My SR200 has a different headband and they just sort of sit on your ears without clamping....very comfy. Of course, this brings about the most annoying design flaw of all with Grados...you look down and they slide off your head!
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #53 of 53
Make them circuaural and improve build quality a bit... and for goodness sake, put some Senn PX like pads on the insides of the headband.

BTW I can headbang with my SR-60's without them falling off... I don't do it mind you, but I could... Okay! so I tried it once...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back