What can Grado improve for their next line of headphones??
Feb 14, 2004 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

MartinB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all Grado and ex Grado owners out there!

What do you think that Grado can improve for their next line of headphones??

Personally I would want a better cord that doesn't twist as much as the current one. The cord should also be detachable.
Of course I also want better and more comfortable pads. I would also appreciate if they could make the headphones just a little less bright.

I now own Grado RS-1, Grado SR-225 and Grado RA-1 and love Grado. But if they could make them a little bit better on some points I would be very happy.
The following problems I have had with RS-1 and SR-225 is the cable twisting and the cable loosing it's shape and getting flat on some parts of the cable.
The bowl pads aren't that comfortable and too bright.
The problems I've had with the RA-1 is the following. When I wanted to remove the original rubber feets the black paint fell of from the bottom metalplate.
Another thing is that one of the RCA contacts on the back is now loose. Not very fun because I can't open the amp and fix the problem myself......
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 53
I would like them to find a new material for the earcups. Something you can wear for hours on end without irritation or discomfort.

I would not mess with the sound if it were me. After all it is the Grado sound and why change it to make it just like some other brand?

What I would like and this is a real dream is that ALL manufacturers agree on a standard connector for headphones so that one cable can be used on everything we own.

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 53
I’m sure John Grado makes the Headphones exactly as he wants them to be. Being they are a successful product he’s probably not interested in taking suggestions on how to “improve” them. He does run a successful audio company and basically no one here does.

The “problems” you point out about the cables don’t effect the sound and aren’t detrimental in any way. The more important issues to look into would be the repair records he’s accumulated over the years.

Each headphone in the Grado product line is made for a specific price point. Incrementally going up in performance and cost. Any change even small in the cable design would probably adversely affect the cost structure. What’s interesting is the price of Grado headphones doesn’t seem to have changed in a long time. The RS-1’s lost the mahogany box but the price didn’t go up. I saw a 6 or 7 year-old receipt for the RS-1’s and they were $695 even then.

John Grado knows his market, knows his product. He’s not competing with the big mass-market companies. R+D dollars are scarce and expensive. Basically you can make a product and make money or do R+D and spend money. Regardless of which you chose you still have bills and operating cost to cover.

Mitch

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
What I would like and this is a real dream is that ALL manufacturers agree on a standard connector for headphones so that one cable can be used on everything we own.

Uh.... don't most headphones use either 1/4" or 1/8" plugs? Sounds pretty standard to me.

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 53
I just miss something in the design that would prevent the cups from swiveling around more than say 120 degrees. I like that they can swivel 90 degrees to get that slim profile when you're hanging them around your neck or when you want to put them in a case. It's a bit bothersome having to untwist the cords every time you're going to put them on.

Feb 14, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 53
braillediver: If a lot of costumers complains about things it's a problem and you should do something about the problem.
A detachable cord is a must today when most "audiophile" headphones have detachable cords. People want to change cables to better ones. Most of Grado buyers are interested in hifi or serious headphone listening and that small group of people want to be able to change cables. Having detachable cables for Grado can also save them money. Because I guess they have to do a lot of repairs because of loose cables...
The cord on Grados is terrible and when I have spent over 1000 USD on Grado products I think I have the right to complain about it.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 53
i don't think a detachable cord is necessary for grado headphones. if they feel confident that their cables work best for their headphones, they shouldn't bother making them detachable. simply because a cable doesn't look flashy, doesn't mean it isn't good.

however, the cord twisting problem can be a bother (especially for portable use). i'm for TMC's idea.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by lcachola
Uh.... don't most headphones use either 1/4" or 1/8" plugs? Sounds pretty standard to me.

I meant the other end where it attaches to the headphone.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
I’m sure John Grado makes the Headphones exactly as he wants them to be. Being they are a successful product he’s probably not interested in taking suggestions on how to “improve” them. He does run a successful audio company and basically no one here does......................

Mitch

In most business ventures it never hurts to listen to the customer's desires. To stick ones head in the sand and say I got the best item in the market and why bother changing is often not a winning strategy.

I always remember the story told in business schools of the manufacturer that made the absolute best buggy whips in the world. He refused to listen to internal recommendations or react to market changes. Right up until he filed for bankruptcy he made the best buggy whips that anyone could ever want. This is a radical example and I am not suggesting anything like this might happen to Grado but it does illustrate how things change and successful businesses must adapt.

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 53
Personally, one of the reasons I'm such a fan of the Grado line is their ease of modification. Almost all of the complaints listed here can be easily remedied with a little ingenuity. Sure, some traits are fundamental and cannot be changed (i.e the sound; if you don't like it, you probably shouldn't buy a Grado), but virtually all others are changable.

Now there's certainly the argument that we shouldn't have to bother with all this, and that the cans should come essentially perfect from the factory. True enough for the more expensive models, but i'm fine with making a tweak or two to my $70 dollar models.

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 53
Get rid of bowls, bring back flats as standard pads!!!

I like how the cups can swivel all the way around
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Get rid of bowls, bring back flats as standard pads!!!

Ok fine, that I agree with.

Feb 14, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 53
If grado were to change their line of headphones they are maybe a few things that I would recommend. First of all, the cans should be built better around the headband area. Secondly they should come standard with flat pads. The best that can happen is grado would include both for personal preference, but I just can't see that happening. I would also be very pleased if they used aluminum or at least metal on the lower-end models.

In terms of design, I love the grado's the way they are right now and so I wouldn't recommend they would change that retro look.

Other than that, nothing else.

Feb 14, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 53
princeclassic: A detachable cable isn't only better because you can actually change the cable. It's better for the longevity too.
And with a cable from Zu or Stefanaudioart it would definetely sound better too.
With a replacable cable, pads(already replacable) and headband the longevity would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back