What BP Could Have Bought with the Money They Lost
Aug 1, 2010 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NapalmK

Headphoneus Supremus
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 18
I still worry that we're going to get stuck with the bill. I would not be surprised if BP dissolves with the profitable parts going to other companies on the cheap while the mess gets socialized to the taxpayers.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Anyone care for a new job?
BP is looking to hire a new spokesperson to serve as the chief media contact for the oil giant's Gulf Coast clean-up efforts.
wink_face.gif

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/30/news/companies/BP_spokesperson_worst_job_on_earth/index.htm

Aug 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
I still worry that we're going to get stuck with the bill. I would not be surprised if BP dissolves with the profitable parts going to other companies on the cheap while the mess gets socialized to the taxpayers.

I know what you mean. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I don't think BP will dissolve (as long as they're smart about it) as they are reasonably solid and their recent quarterly report wasn't as bad as expected so they should be able to weather this as long as nothing else major happens to them. However, it is a major blow to them even without potential fines so they will be pretty well crippled for a while. There should be some changes coming for the oil industry though.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

I know what you mean. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I don't think BP will dissolve (as long as they're smart about it) as they are reasonably solid and their recent quarterly report wasn't as bad as expected so they should be able to weather this as long as nothing else major happens to them. However, it is a major blow to them even without potential fines so they will be pretty well crippled for a while. There should be some changes coming for the oil industry though.

Why would they dissolve the whole company when the only problem they have is with a small part of their U.S. operations?

I expect them to sell off their U.S. operations as soon as the gulf problem is fixed not because of any liability risks or cost issues but because of the long term damage to their share price and their reputation if they stay in the U.S.. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Why would they dissolve the whole company when the only problem they have is with a small part of their U.S. operations?  
I expect them to sell off their U.S. operations as soon as the gulf problem is fixed not because of any liability risks or cost issues but because of the long term damage to their share price and their reputation if they stay in the U.S.. 

They wouldn't. Sorry if I was confusing, I guess I should have stated that it was mainly the US branch that I was referring to. If anything is going to dissolve it would be the US operations. I'm not sure their image will be tainted too terribly bad in the long term. Of course it will take a lot of time to regain trust but I don't think their business will be hurt too bad. The US operations are still profitable so I don't see them exiting the market anytime soon.

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Ice cream sandwiches and wolf t-shirts?  All right!

But really, that's scary.  12 digits?  What do you call that? (million, billion, trillion...)

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Eh, I call BS with how they are measuring "loss". BP has not "lost" $100,000,000,000....the discounted value of liabilities is going to be nowhere near $100 billion. The reason why BP's stock has fallen is either due to overreaction or because the stock was overvalued in the first place.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Eh, I call BS with how they are measuring "loss". BP has not "lost" $100,000,000,000....the discounted value of liabilities is going to be nowhere near $100 billion. The reason why BP's stock has fallen is either due to overreaction or because the stock was overvalued in the first place.

I agree. However, it makes for a better headline.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 18
I hope all the big guys over at BP never find the headphone of their dreams.  May their ears be forever filled with the drone of a thousand blown out ibuds! 
basshead.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 18

Just remember that any changes to oil companies result in higher pump prices,it matters not what happens,the end result is that we all will pay for it.

And so we should,we are all very happy to use it in abundance,but do not like paying to much for it.

It is not the oil companies that pollute, it is us the user.

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 18
This is misleading.  It isn't comparing against the cost of cleanup or even lost opportunity cost...but the temporary blip in BP stock.  It is more reflective of investor confidence in a troubled oil giant than what it is represented to be.  But hey, who am I to read the disclaimers, when the point of the infographic is clearly shock value?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back