What book are you reading right now?
Jun 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,001 of 5,346
just started this tonight and already i can tell it will be a whopper! 

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,004 of 5,346
Quote:
Just started QED: the strange theory of light by Richard Feynman.

I'm now reading about QCD  (Quantum Chromo Dynamics) by Nicholas Mee
biggrin.gif
  Interesting stuff..

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3,006 of 5,346
Quote:
I've just finished reading Flannery O'Connor's Collected Works (my favourite American author) & am now reading "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London.
smile.gif

Flannery O'conner is an immense talent and one of the best short story writers i have come across. Have you read any early cormac mccarthy especially Suttree? it reminds me a lot of flannery but expanded. 

Also if you like short stories it has been announced - Lydia Davis has won the international man Booker. very good short stories. 

I will check out "the sea wolf" thanks for posting. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #3,007 of 5,346
Quote:
Flannery O'conner is an immense talent and one of the best short story writers i have come across. Have you read any early cormac mccarthy especially Suttree? it reminds me a lot of flannery but expanded. 

Also if you like short stories it has been announced - Lydia Davis has won the international man Booker. very good short stories. 

I will check out "the sea wolf" thanks for posting. 

Hi magiccabbage, good to hear from a fellow reader.  Flannery O'connor was a unique writer.  I can read anything she wrote.  I rate her above Hemmingway in the elite class of American short story writers.  Yes, not only have I read Cormac McCarthy but I have several of his novels : Suttree, Child of God, Blood Meridian, The Orchard keeper, Outer dark, No country for old men & The Road (there is the trilogy of All the Pretty Horses but I didn't enjoy it so dropped it midway a few years ago).  My favourites are Outer dark, Suttree & Blood Meridian.  Since you're from Ireland I must confess that I tried reading Joyce & he's out of my league : Ulysses & especially Finnegan's Wake for me are the equivalence of deciphering the theory of relativity. I even tried A portrait of the artist as a young man & couldn't finish it.  By the way my favourite Canadian author is Mordecai Richler; my favourites of mine are : The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Joshua then and now & Barney's version.  It helps to know about Canadian political history & Quebec (province) & Montreal demography & history but the Richler's prose & humour were unique. Anyways, I'll check out Lydia Davis, thank you.  Jack London (The Sea wolf) also wrote The Call of the wild, White fang, and many short stories many of which deal with the Yukon Gold Rush.  
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,008 of 5,346
Quote:
Hi magiccabbage, good to hear from a fellow reader.  Flannery O'connor was a unique writer.  I can read anything she wrote.  I rate her above Hemmingway in the elite class of American short story writers.  Yes, not only have I read Cormac McCarthy but I have several of his novels : Suttree, Child of God, Blood Meridian, The Orchard keeper, Outer dark, No country for old men & The Road (there is the trilogy of All the Pretty Horses but I didn't enjoy it so dropped it midway a few years ago).  My favourites are Outer dark, Suttree & Blood Meridian.  Since you're from Ireland I must confess that I tried reading Joyce & he's out of my league : Ulysses & especially Finnegan's Wake for me are the equivalence of deciphering the theory of relativity. I even tried A portrait of the artist as a young man & couldn't finish it.  By the way my favourite Canadian author is Mordecai Richler; my favourites of mine are : The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Joshua then and now & Barney's version.  It helps to know about Canadian political history & Quebec (province) & Montreal demography & history but the Richler's prose & humour were unique. Anyways, I'll check out Lydia Davis, thank you.  Jack London (The Sea wolf) also wrote The Call of the wild, White fang, and many short stories many of which deal with the Yukon Gold Rush.  
wink.gif

No problem just remember everything you read must go up on this thread because i will need to get my greedy hands on it. 
As for the boarder trilogy i really liked the first part but it did start to lag on book 2 but you must finish it because it redeems itself in book 3. 

And don't worry about Ulysses i tried 3 times to finish it and could not. It is one of the few that i gave up on. Also there is a pompous air that has built up around the novel over the years which is mostly academics blowing hot hot air and trying to give significance to "old hat " forms of writing. Even Joyce himself admits that the book really didn't work as a piece - he knew people would hate it and academics would love it. There were over 18 editions of the novel. I don't think he could get it right in his head. 

the third policeman is very good by Flann O'brien. Schopenhauer's telescope and Julius winsome by Ger Donovan are also good. Also some of Samuel becketts short stories are good.

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #3,010 of 5,346
Quote:
Anybody else disappointed with "A Memory of Light" (Wheel of Time series)?

no considering i was not expecting it to be as good as any of the first 3. i did like the end though. the writing style was very patchy overall and i think he tried to hide it with action. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3,011 of 5,346
Quote:
Anybody else disappointed with "A Memory of Light" (Wheel of Time series)?

The final battle wrapped up too quickly. Seemed like a few major characters were offed in a hurry. No real aftermath section either. Otherwise it was a good ending.  3 1/2 stars out of 5...

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,012 of 5,346
and now for a page turner - the best in the series so far. (fast paced sci-fi)

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #3,013 of 5,346

For those who are interested in this type of reading, I certainly recommend this book. Very informative, yet written in a laid back way that makes it enjoyable. Plus its pretty quick. Had it for a day and more than halfway through.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,014 of 5,346
I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by GRR Martin.

Sadly I find myself drifting through this book while being absolutely captivated by the first 3 books.  Seems like the strong narrative and purpose of the first three is gone for now.  :frowning2:

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3,015 of 5,346
Quote:
I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by GRR Martin.

Sadly I find myself drifting through this book while being absolutely captivated by the first 3 books.  Seems like the strong narrative and purpose of the first three is gone for now.  :frowning2:

I have read the 5 and tend to agree. he takes a huge leap into left feild with book 4. In saying that my friend thinks book 4 is the strongest of the 5 so far. For me book 5 is more like book 3 which IMO is the best of the lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back