What book are you reading right now?
Apr 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #3,934 of 5,346
Currently reading Agnes Bernelle's autobiography The Fun Palace. An exile from Nazi Germany, where she was a friend of Marlene Dietrich, she was a singer and actor who broadcast Allied propaganda into Germany, became the first 'non-static' nude* on the British stage and one of her albums was called Mother, the Wardrobe is full of Infantrymen.

She collaborated on recordings with Marc Almond, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits and The Radiators.

After a negative review of one of her shows, her then husband Desmond Leslie assaulted Bernard Levin on live TV.

It's not great writing, but it is an interesting life story.

*The notorious Windmill Theatre had nude shows, but to circumvent the law of the time, they were not allowed to move.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,938 of 5,346

I had a hard time getting going on this but was happy that I persevered.

A far cry from the usual "I am the greatest soldier on earth and saved all my buddies while singlehanded made the world safe for democracy(and hoo yaa I'm a modest and humble down to earth guy too)."  Horse pooh that seems to hit the bestseller list every month. This is a pure run of the mill squaddies story of being in Helmand and conducting day to day business in the British Army's version of "Other duties as required". As such, while not Nobel material by any stretch it serves as a fairly decent account of what passes for a regular soldiers life in a modern combat arena.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,939 of 5,346
Stephen Leacock (1869-1944) was a Canadian humourist who, in the early part of the 20th century, was one of the most-read authors in the world. Nowadays, he's less well-known, but his absurd short stories and articles are still very funny and well-written. Think of him as being somewhere between Jerome K.Jerome and S.J.Perelman and that is a (very) rough idea of his writing.

As he is out of copyright, I got a 12-volume Kindle anthology from Amazon for 99p! That's good VFM in anyone's book.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #3,940 of 5,346
  Stephen Leacock (1869-1944) was a Canadian humourist who, in the early part of the 20th century, was one of the most-read authors in the world. Nowadays, he's less well-known, but his absurd short stories and articles are still very funny and well-written. Think of him as being somewhere between Jerome K.Jerome and S.J.Perelman and that is a (very) rough idea of his writing.

As he is out of copyright, I got a 12-volume Kindle anthology from Amazon for 99p! That's good VFM in anyone's book.

I'm surprised the Leacock is out of copyright The readers gain.

Much like Robert Service, Leacock was actually born in England. I oft wonder if that was where their unique humour came from..

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,941 of 5,346

I'm surprised the Leacock is out of copyright The readers gain.

Much like Robert Service, Leacock was actually born in England. I oft wonder if that was where their unique humour came from..

1944 means he's well out of copyright in any territory. His humour has elements of Englishness, but also has things in common with Twain, Mencken and Perelman. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #3,945 of 5,346

Is this part of My Struggle? I'm reading part 1.

yea, I just started in the 5th part, 'Writer'

- edit-  Last part comes out in Dutch translation around december 2015, such a bummer
blink.gif

(the Swedish translation is 1100 pages!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back