What book are you reading right now?
Dec 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3,392 of 5,346
You should try out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's pretty hard to get into, as the writer throws you into this massive and incredibly complex world without so much as an introduction. But things start making more sense as you go along.

It's epic high fantasy taken to the extreme, with a scope consisting of entire planes of existence and untold millennia of history. With gods, and demons, dragons, undead, assassins, mages, spirits, armies, knights and master swordsmen. Yet, it doesn't fall to the same cliches that so many other fantasies do. In fact, Stephen Erickson (the writer), takes immense pleasure in deconstructing and subverting said cliches.

It's exceeds the complexity of GoT, approaches the rich lore of LotR, and matches WoT in awesome battles; with a goodly amount of very dry humor dashed in.

My favorite series of books. Ever.

From Erickson, attempting to explain his series to a fellow writer,

I am nearing completion of a ten book Fantasy series entitled ‘The Malazan Book of the Fallen.’  These novels are set on a fictitious world that is Homeric in nature—magic and meddling gods—but at a technological level somewhere around late Roman Empire.  Progress has stalled, as magic has supplanted technological innovation.  Unfortunately, magic is also highly destructive. While these epic novels seek to portray a history in an entertaining style, the underlying themes concern the life cycles of cultures and civilizations(including those of nonhumans) against the backdrop of environmental degradation.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3,393 of 5,346
I just started reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for my grade twelve English independent study unit. I've only read the preface and the letters so far, but I'm probably going to read it entirely this weekend. I'm not much of a reader, so this is probably the most well written piece of modern literature I've personally read. Even though I don't like to read, lately I've found I really love analyzing the themes of classic novels and learning from them.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,394 of 5,346
  I just started reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for my grade twelve English independent study unit. I've only read the preface and the letters so far, but I'm probably going to read it entirely this weekend. I'm not much of a reader, so this is probably the most well written piece of modern literature I've personally read. Even though I don't like to read, lately I've found I really love analyzing the themes of classic novels and learning from them.

I loved it. Read it twice ........................    "he was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance" 

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3,395 of 5,346
  I loved it. Read it twice ........................    "he was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance" 

Nice, hopefully I'll like it just as much. I feel like it's going to be very gruesome overall, but I think the themes playing God, rejection, dangerous knowledge, and monstrosity will make a great project.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,396 of 5,346
nearly finished the last wish 

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #3,397 of 5,346
  nearly finished the last wish 

....and?

popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3,398 of 5,346
  ....and?

popcorn.gif

It is very good. It might be better than the Ambercrombie series "the first law" and Sandersons "mistborn" - i will have to read the other 2. I got them all for the kindle so i will have the whole lot read by the end of the week. As of yet its isn't close to "Game of thrones" and no where near "the lord of the rings". Tolkien's skill as a writer is far above Sapkowski. The writing style is a lot plainer in "the last wish" - when the characters talk its kind of like how we would talk around our friends. I get this a lot with contemporary fantasy fiction, but maybe its the translators fault and not the author. 

All in all it is fun and very enjoyable. If it continues like this or gets any better it might be on a par or just below "game of thrones". Definitely one of the better Fantasy series i have read.  I would recommend it - it is a page turner. I am just about finished now and i only started it today. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,399 of 5,346

....and?

popcorn.gif

It is very good. It might be better than the Ambercrombie series "the first law" and Sandersons "mistborn" - i will have to read the other 2. I got them all for the kindle so i will have the whole lot read by the end of the week. As of yet its isn't close to "Game of thrones" and no where near "the lord of the rings". Tolkien's skill as a writer is far above Sapkowski. The writing style is a lot plainer in "the last wish" - when the characters talk its kind of like how we would talk around our friends. I get this a lot with contemporary fantasy fiction, but maybe its the translators fault and not the author. 

All in all it is fun and very enjoyable. If it continues like this or gets any better it might be on a par or just below "game of thrones". Definitely one of the better Fantasy series i have read.  I would recommend it - it is a page turner. I am just about finished now and i only started it today. 

ok.....I'll have to keep it on the list....

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,400 of 5,346
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3,401 of 5,346
Dec 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #3,402 of 5,346
  I am starting the Hunger Games series....I liked the movies so I thought I would give the books a go.

funny that I hated the movies, really did not like them. I have read all the books. The first one is good - a real page turner.
I have read a huge amount of sci-fi in the last five years and I think Suzanne Collins borrowed heavily from books like -
"battle royal" by Koushan Takami and William Goldings "the lord of the flies". She was obviously influenced by these 
writers but for me the lines draws to close to plagiarism but then again I suppose you could say that about a lot of sci-fi. 

Most of my friends loved the books and i will admit the first one was very good but the series just robbed to much from other
writers. I hope you enjoy it though. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3,403 of 5,346

I am starting the Hunger Games series....I liked the movies so I thought I would give the books a go.

funny that I hated the movies, really did not like them. I have read all the books. The first one is good - a real page turner.
I have read a huge amount of sci-fi in the last five years and I think Suzanne Collins borrowed heavily from books like -
"battle royal" by Koushan Takami and William Goldings "the lord of the flies". She was obviously influenced by these 
writers but for me the lines draws to close to plagiarism but then again I suppose you could say that about a lot of sci-fi. 

Most of my friends loved the books and i will admit the first one was very good but the series just robbed to much from other
writers. I hope you enjoy it though. 
biggrin.gif

Tough to find completely original ideas in Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I generally enjoy the character development and interaction more that wiz bang tech or the deus-ex machina spell being cast. For example, the development of Mat in WoT was fascinating as the memories from past lives slowly integrated into his current ones. We'll see if Ms. Collins can hold my interest for all 3 books.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,404 of 5,346
  Tough to find completely original ideas in Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I generally enjoy the character development and interaction more that wiz bang tech or the deus-ex machina spell being cast. For example, the development of Mat in WoT was fascinating as the memories from past lives slowly integrated into his current ones. We'll see if Ms. Collins can hold my interest for all 3 books.

I think it will. I read the first one in a few hours - i love when that happens. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3,405 of 5,346
  It is very good. 

I told you you can't go wrong with the book for me at least I preferred it over the other mentioned 2 although I haven't finished GoT and wouldn't touch it again. Glad you enjoyed it, maybe even give the games a go. The disappointing thing is you must wait for the rest of the books to be translated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back