What book are you reading right now?
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #168 of 5,364
The Killer Angles - By Micheal Shaara
America - A Narrative History - By George Brown Tindall and David E. Shi

I reallly like the Killer Angles, good Civil war book on Gettysburg.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #169 of 5,364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Killer Angles - By Micheal Shaara
America - A Narrative History - By George Brown Tindall and David E. Shi

I reallly like the Killer Angles, good Civil war book on Gettysburg.

America -- thats the textbook we used this year in american history. we actually didn't use it a whole lot, but I read it on my own, and really enjoyed it. It was well written and easy to read.

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #170 of 5,364
Mythology - Edith Hamilton

Part of a summer project, to get familiar with Greek myths. It's the only book I know that can pack as much mythology into a compact space, but the author's style is so dry, boring. I know this has to be academic, but come on, Greek mythology has some pretty juicy details. Up to the scholars to suck all the fun out...

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #171 of 5,364
I Am a Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstadter.

The authors philosophical view of consciousness as a sort of
a feedback loop. A bit of science and a bit of a personal
memoir written after the authors wife passed away from
a brain tumor.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #173 of 5,364
I'm reading the book by Nancy Cartwright (the voice of Bart Simpson), My Life as a Ten-Year Old Boy. Its clearly not a very cerebral read, but for a Simpsons fan, it is very enjoyable.

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #174 of 5,364
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
America -- thats the textbook we used this year in american history. we actually didn't use it a whole lot, but I read it on my own, and really enjoyed it. It was well written and easy to read.

Yea, we have to read the first 6 chapters over the summer for my AP class next year. Along with that, 1 five paragraph essay per chapter, and 4 bullet point essays per chapter. I have more books to read for the class and more work, but I wont complain any further.

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #175 of 5,364
Slowly re-reading "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson.

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #176 of 5,364
I just started James Joyce's Ulysses. Whoa. Crazy historical/literary references peppered throughout. Its cool though, 'cause I took a Greek Archeology class in college (as well as about 7 or 8 English classes). I think I'll compliment this book afterwards with a rousing rendition of The Cat In The Hat.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #178 of 5,364
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, we have to read the first 6 chapters over the summer for my AP class next year. Along with that, 1 five paragraph essay per chapter, and 4 bullet point essays per chapter. I have more books to read for the class and more work, but I wont complain any further.

Haha, that sucks! We never had to do that. In fact, our teach was out for 3 months due to back surgery, and the sub just talked about basketball the entire period! Flicky football occupied the majority of the time.

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #179 of 5,364
I'm finishing up "The Terror Conspiracy" by Jim Marrs. I got it from the author [autographed] at a Democratic fund-raiser. I stayed for his talk, and left before Garrison Keillor arrived. I don't dislike GK, but the gathered Dems were being rude to Jim. They probably thought I was a Republican plant, not realizing that I'm really a disgruntled ex-Libertarian. But I digress...

The book is quite scary. I wish I had another planet to go to...

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back