What Beyerdynamics should i buy?
Oct 13, 2002 at 8:16 AM Post #16 of 51
The Rx-v2095 is the same model than DSP-A2 (DSP-A1 was the #1 model that year) with one exception, v2095 has tuner. So i think that i don't have to buy an amp now. So if 770's have too much bass and 831 have too little bass i have to look elsewhere.
Maybe 531 or 250?

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 51
Laffer: I have only heard the DT831 briefly and the DT931 not at all, but from the rest of the Beyerdynamic bunch I'd recommend the DT531 and DT250/250 most. I'd say that these are the most neutral sounding Beyerdynamic models, too.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And don't forget to compare the AKG K240S!
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 51
Laffer, you listed both open and closed Beyers on your list, and people have been discussing both types. Have you decided on one type over the other? That will help narrow things down a bit.

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
The 770 also had an odd phenomenon with certain rock recordings. I would hear a bass line that seemed to stand out from the overall musical effect; it seemed to have a life of its own. I think that is strictly recording/source/amp dependent, though.

That's exactly my experience - it seems highly amp dependant. If an amp has lots of power but not much control (high output impedance would be suspect) the bass can become disconnected from the rest of the music. But pair them with the right amp and the out of control wall of bass becomes nice deep, tight bass with hella slam!

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
Laffer, you listed both open and closed Beyers on your list, and people have been discussing both types. Have you decided on one type over the other? That will help narrow things down a bit.

I haven't decided on that yet, because i don't have any specific requirements on that area, I just want them to sound/feel good. I am going to use them mostly at home so they don't need to be closed (but they can be).
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #23 of 51
If 770's have too much bass and 250's don't sound good with symphonic music, I think that the only choice for me is the DT531.

A big thanks for everybody who has helped me in making up my mind.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I used to own the DT831, and they have little bass, resulting in a headphone that sound very bright, and has little "presence." It has great detail, but the lack of bass made them quite fatiguing to me.

i too have the 831 and from my ct570's line-out in flat eq, the sound is really lacking on bass. but when i use my md portables like the sony n1 or aiwa f70 with a bit (not full) bass on the eq, i get very warm and full sounding lows. i too love soundtracks and classicals like you. so i think it also depends on your source. imo, the 570's eq presettings are quite useless and sounds artificial as goes for other newer pcdp's. i wonder why md's have better implementation on this. all in all, if you have a good source with good eq settings, don't rule out the 831. you'll be surprised how brilliant it sounds with a good amp and your source.

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 51
*nods.
smily_headphones1.gif
then you'll be very pleased with the dt531. and don't fail to give us your impressions when you'll get 'em.

cheers

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 51
Do you guys really like the DT531 more than the DT931?

I haven't heard the 531, myself--I'm just surprised.

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #28 of 51
i've borrowed a friend's dt531 and observed them for a week. imo, sound is a little indistinct and rolled off in the treble, but the compensation is a substantial low-end thump to give bass lines a good kicking.

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 51
I had the chance to listen to the 531's on some material (about half a dozen cd's) that I knew like the back of my hand. Having owned the 931's for some time, it was clear to me that they were better in everything except the low end, which the 531's had a an advantage in, more slam, more distinct lows. I felt the 931's had greater clarity, imaging and more effortless highs. The midrange also had much better depth and liquidity.
That said, the 531's were no slouch.

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 51
the 531s had more than enuff low and midrange oomph IMo...but then again, i'm no connoiseur
smily_headphones1.gif

all phones have a purpose, but only being able to afford ONE decent set at a time, the 531s were the most adaptable to the different styles of music that i listen to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back