What Best Fits these Requirements?
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

prisoner6

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for something new, so let's see if what I'm looking for exists. Looking to match as many of the following requirements as possible.

1. Price $100 or Under.

2. In-Ear, but not deep like Ety. Think CX300 style. These are for work, and I end up taking out and re-inserting often, so nothing that sits that deep.

3. Light. No split cords with extensions and connectors in the middle. Thos weight it down too much for this use.

4. Equal length cord on each side, Y Cord. No J Cords with one side longer and requiring around the head wrap.

5. Good sound, but doesn't have to be the best out there.

I'm currently using Denon 551, which come VERY close to this, but that split cord is getting me every time. I know it seems like a minor quiblle, and in some ways it is. I don't need new ones, but if something fits....

I'm thinking possibly UE MetroFi, but really looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 7
I saw a little while back that the custom 2's were around $100-$110 on amazon, but if that's pushing your budget, I would even go so far as to reccoment the custom 1. I think they're even lower in price on Amazon, and they seem to meet your criteria. Granted, there wont be as much mass as the denon's, but some might consider that a plus, as the mids come accross very strongly w/ the Klipschs.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 7
see if you can run around to jaben.net and get the crossroads bijous. their older models were popular here for about a couple of months but the interest has fizzled out somewhat. i still think they're a very very competent set of iems, probably the best i've heard under 100 dollars, especially the bijou 4 with the lightest bass, which is not light at all, and have so much detail it's almost insulting to call it an entry level iem

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I was just about to ask a question similar to this. I currently have CX300, CX400, iM616 and iM716. I use the 716 with my Gilmore Lite amp when it is too noisy in the house to use my DT880 headphones.

I like the SQ of the iM616, but I have to sometimes remove them often and it is a pain to put them back in. I use ER4 foam tips. I love how easy it is to remove and put in the CX types and I love the short split cord of the CX400. The short cord is just the right length to reach my iAudio 7 in the case on my belt.

I see that the suggested Denon headphones have a split cord. Is it about the same length as that on the CX400 so that it reaches from my ears to my belt with just a little slack? Headroom says that the cord is 0.5m long, the cord on the CX400 is about 0.7m from the buds to the connector. I think that 0.5m would be a little short to make it to my belt. How is the SQ of the C551 and C751? I assume that it is closer to the iM616 than it is to the CX300/400.

Are there any other suggestions for less than $100, preferably with a short cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back