What batteries for an RSA SR-71?
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

webbie64

Headphoneus Supremus
SR-71 owners/users/previous owner/users.

What advice do you have on battery selection for the SR-71?

Can you use rechargeables (I know I'd have to recharge them seperately)?

Do Alkalines OR Lithiums OR Dry Cells work out best over time for value for money?

Is there any credence to claims that battery rolling changes the sound signature (e.g. Emmeline By Ray Samuels Audio SR-71 Headphone Amplifier Review By Steven R. Rochlin states "What i will add is that battery rolling, akin to tube rolling (changing of tunes), the SR-71 was very musical with dry-cell batteries. Alkaline batteries produces, to my ears with my headphones, a bit more bass drive and upper midrange sharpness. Oh how we audiophile will try swapping anything we can to reproduce the music we love so dearly."

Looking forward to suggestions/help.

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 14
As a previous owner, I used alkalines, but did experiment w/ rechargeables too. I recommend alkalines. They last much, much longer, and should sound better, according to what I've read. Ray designed the amp to run on alkalines too, I believe. I don't really recall if I noticed an SQ increase, but the longer battery life was enough for me to justify using them. In my area, I found that Home Depot had the best price for 9volts.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 14
I used alkalines in my SR71, they are good for about 60 hours of operation. I would suggest you swap their locations at about the 30 hour mark. Why? because one side will draw a bit more and you would end up draining one battery before the other. Yes I measured the voltages using a multimeter.
biggrin.gif

Good luck.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a previous owner, I used alkalines, but did experiment w/ rechargeables too.

Thanks for the alkaline advice.

With the rechargeables did you use 7.2 or 9.6v?

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 14
I own a Hornet and a MicroDAC. As you may know both of them uses 9V batteries. The Hornet have a rechargeable circuit, but the MicroDAC don't and it's power hungry. So i decided to go with rechargeable 9V MAHA batteries and a charger. I have 6 of those batteries, so i don't need to buy alkaline ones and with my calculations, at the end, i'll be saving money ...

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't notice you're from Australia. I both my batteries and charger from Servaas. Really good company to deal with. I'm happy with their service and recommend'em to you ...

x 2. i have dealt with Servaas as well. Good company.

cheers
Simon

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Hey Ian!

I highly advocate for ULTRALIFE 9v batteries, the ones that go in smoke detectors. They fit quite snugly (almost too much), but last way longer than alkalines. I didn't really listen for critical differences. Regular alkaline 9vs are fine though too. Wish I knew the change them around while I had my amp. Enjoy the new amp!

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the responses.

In terms of rechargeables I obviously meant 8.4 Volt or 9.6 Volt - my gaff!

Sounds like I'll be trying out non-rechargeable Lithiums, Alkalines (which I can recharge via my Rezap battery charger
biggrin.gif
) and good old relaible Lithium-Ions (probably with 8.4 volts as longevity will be a bigger issue than high power demand methinks).

And thanks mrarroyo for the tip on changing them around at the halfway point.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 14
SR71 uses 9V batteries..

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR71 uses 9V batteries..

Yes, I realise its 9V for non-rechargeables and either 8.4 Volt (7 cells) or 9.6 (8 cells) for rechargeables.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 14
I use the Maha Powerex 300mah rechargeable. Sound good and last a long time and fit very well.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 14
i'm curious about this as well.. rechargeable seems like a must for me.. as much use as i'm going to be getting out of this every single day.. no way i could afford the alternative.. and vorlon seems to be the only pro-rechargeable feedback here |: anyone else? right now, I'm ready to go for the "Maha Powerex 300mah" as vorlon said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back