What audio racks do you guys recommend?
Jun 25, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 32
I've been very happy with a Sanus 5 shelf audio rack. The rack with shelves weighs over 80# and the shelves have individual shock absorbers. I filled the tubular members with 60# of graphited #5 steel shot, vibrated with a pad sander to get it settled. My Rega Planar 25 on top sits on a 40# slab of italian marble. and the whole thing is spike mounted to the concrete subfloor. At that point I was done with vibration control . . .
600smile.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 32
man.. jsut go to home depot and buy a good $50 corded drill and some wood and screws and make your own... i trully don't understand why more people around here don't do this... it's cheap and you get EXACTLY what you want.

Jun 25, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'll take this chance to pimp my home-made rack. It was quite cheap: I'm guessing I spent about $20 at home depot. I think it looks quite nice! I use rubber washers in between each level for extra dampening, and rubber feet.

front1.jpg

what wood did you use? and what are those metal rods?

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
what wood did you use? and what are those metal rods?

Almighty merton ,

people prefer to use medium density fiberboard for the shelves that you do some dampening on , and those metal rods are threaded steel rods, u also use some steel washers, rubber washers and hex nuts (or something similar).

Jun 26, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 32
I also assembled a rack from parts purchased at the Home Depot.

Recipe for a cheap and splendid looking stereo rack-

1) Purchase a couple of one inch thick maple boards

2) cut and then laminate the boards to the desired size

3) sand and finish your newly combined self

4) drill four holes within each board

5) assemble stand using four 5/8 '' threaded rods

Simple, cheap, and very eye catching
evil_smiley.gif

* if you are absolutely intent on having black rods, you can purchase extra Archtype pieces directly from Salamander.

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #22 of 32
This is one area where I felt comfortable going DIY. I have so much junk, that I basically had to. Got the utility shelves that you screw into the wall, used magnets to find the studs, black MDF shelves, completely modular in setup (I covered an entire wall, can arrange the shelves in any way I like). They're pretty sturdy.

Up next: isolation. Not sure if I'm going to go "inner tube" or low gauge wire loops such as those used in industrial settings and such. Those look cool, but they seem to take up more room, and transmit more vibration.

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 32
The company Sorice sells sturdy wood and metal racks directly from their web site http://www.sorice.com/frst.php3?target=asana . They are sturdier than the similar looking Salamander Synergy, and the Sorice price is much lower, presumably because Sorice sells factory-direct only (no middleman markup).

I use the Sorice Asana rack for one of my systems, and I am very pleased with it. It's definitely not as fancy as the Pagode rack that Sugano-san uses, but it's a great choice is you just want a basic rack that's sturdy and attractive.

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 32
you can also use wood inplace of the rods.. and it looks even nicer. hey... and idea... silly but neat... build a large frame... and then suspend the "tables" from the frame using wires!!!! that would be neat... even better dampening if you use elastic cords.... but you have to do it well... otherwise you get swinging problems.

Jul 2, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #28 of 32
This is probably a really dumb question but why spend so much money on a stand does it really make a difference? Right now i just use a cheap wood stand, it gets the job done lol.

Jul 2, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #29 of 32
Is it just me, or is it a bitch and half trying to find 5/8 inch rubber washers. I have the metal ones and the nuts, and what not, but I'm improvising with plumbing suplies for hoses that are like a buck a piece... I tried Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Foxs True Value and a mom and pop store... nilch!

Quote:

Originally posted by peter braun
I also assembled a rack from parts purchased at the Home Depot.

Recipe for a cheap and splendid looking stereo rack-

1) Purchase a couple of one inch thick maple boards

2) cut and then laminate the boards to the desired size

3) sand and finish your newly combined self

4) drill four holes within each board

5) assemble stand using four 5/8 '' threaded rods

Simple, cheap, and very eye catching
evil_smiley.gif

* if you are absolutely intent on having black rods, you can purchase extra Archtype pieces directly from Salamander.

Jul 2, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #30 of 32
Although I'm not quite sure(I'm away from the house), I'm pretty sure I used 3/4" rods(though they could be 5/8"). Try using rubber washers that are slightly larger(3/4" would work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back