What Artist Takes Up The Most Space In Your CD Collection?
Sep 27, 2005 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Lindy

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a few favorites. Once I find an artist/group I like, I tend to sort of "splurge" on them for a while. Bill Evans and the Grateful Dead have been multi-year splurges!
smily_headphones1.gif

Group - #CD's

Rock:
Grateful Dead - 176 (soon to be 186 when the Complete Fillmore set arrives
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Phish - 81
Allman Brothers - 27

Jazz:
Bill Evans - 166
Oscar Peterson - 69
Duke Ellington - 53
Miles Davis - 49
McCoy Tyner - 34
Pat Metheny - 31

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 82
Bill Evans has 166 CDs out there? How many performances did the man have anyhow? And who taped them all?
confused.gif
Now the Grateful Dead, I can see, hehe.

1/3 of my entire CD collection is Erasure/Depeche Mode/Pet Shop Boys/New Order and side projects. Just something I really dug right when CDs came out, and now I collect em all out of habit lol. But the rest is a nice motley mix of faves and compilations and make for a well balanced music library.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 82
The Smashing Pumpkins. 674 tracks total.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bill Evans has 166 CDs out there?

Yes! And many more. Lots of those come from box sets. He's got a bunch of them out, and I've got them all. Add a few import CD's into the mix, multiply by *many* years, and it really starts to add up after a while. The Verve box itself is 18 CD's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Now the Grateful Dead, I can see, hehe.

Yea, ton of stuff out there as well. I didn't even add in all the lossless stuff I've downloaded from the Live Music Archive. That would add probably another 250 to the GD total.
redface.gif

Quote:

a well balanced music library.

Yes, a good thing, I think.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 82
1. Massive Attack : 14 CDs (with Singles Box Set), 15 if we want to include The String Quartet Tribute to Massive Attack. +1 DVD

2. Thievery Corporation : 7 CDs

Tied for 3rd With 4 CDs each : Bonobo, Bowery Electric, DJ Cam, DJ Krush, Hooverphonic, Morcheeba, Portishead, Tommy Guerrero, and Tricky.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 82
I can't wait until I official join the workforce. My budget will look like this:
food - 5%
shelter - 5%
miscellaneous (bills, insurance, etc.) - 10%
significant other (if any at all) - 10.1%
MUSIC (equipment, cds, instruments) - 79.9%

may need to hold off on that significant other thing for a while...
I don't even think I have 100 cds combined. Top dogs in my collection though are probably Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. I have a lot of Alice in Chains too.

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 82
I'm not sure how many CD's exactly, but in the 20-30 range for each of the following:

Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Elvis Costello
Elvis Presley
Sarah Vaughn
Miles Davis
Bob Marley
The Who

Not too far behind, in the 10-20 CD range would be:

Jim Croce
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
JJ Cale
Johnny Cash
The Allman Brothers
Little Feat
Charlie Haden
Pat Metheny
Steely Dan
Frank Sinatra
Led Zeppelin

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 82
I have a between a thousand and 1500 CDs, so the following are estimates.

Official Releases:

Probably equal numbers (around 30 or 40) for Grateful Dead (mostly Dick's Picks and other official live CDs) and Phish; next is Coltrane (about 20), then Stockhausen (15).

Bootlegs and CD-R's:

Several hundred hours of Grateful Dead; next is Jimi Hendrix (around 30) and Dylan (~25) and Jefferson Airplane (about 20).

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 82
Bob Dylan - 24 albums
Miles Davis - 16 albums
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - 11 albums

Other than that....well I guess I like variety! Cd collections take a while to build on my salary.

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 82
Lindy, I'm envious! I dream of having even your Miles Davis collection. All I want is everything he did between "The Birth of the Cool" and "Bitches Brew." That and the best of the Grateful Dead's live sets, all the Bob Dylan that I can get my hands on, a complete set of Paco de Lucia albums, a few hundred more choice jazz selections, etc., etc, etc,...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back