What are your rockbox setting???????
Aug 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
+1 xxmastaxx, I also find that I change all the settings when I have access to a rockbox player... EQ is there to be used to the fullest. There is no redeeming value in leaving options unused.

I disagree. Just because an option is there doesn't mean it must be used with every setup. Most of my headphones sound great with no EQ. There are a couple where I make minor adjustments such as the RE0 with a few db more bass and the portapro with a few db less bass. Then there's the stock sansa earbuds which I equalized to get a flat response, for fun.

I used to be EQ crazy myself and would spend a lot of time seeking the right sound. Now I just buy headphones that sound close to my ideal signature and just enjoy what they have to offer. If I have to make any adjustments they are very minor. No regrets using this method so far.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #32 of 42
Is there a correct way to equalising?  Or is it just playing around with the sliders/levels, in no particular order, until I am happy?

So far I have not done any work on EQ but I am thinking of RB  my Clip+...the Sound options are just too many/confusing.  I would have thought that making one change will impact indirectly other frequencies' settings so I do not know where to start.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
Is there a correct way to equalising?  Or is it just playing around with the sliders/levels, in no particular order, until I am happy?

So far I have not done any work on EQ but I am thinking of RB  my Clip+...the Sound options are just too many/confusing.  I would have thought that making one change will impact indirectly other frequencies' settings so I do not know where to start.

That's a loaded question to ask here......you'll probably get many different opinions. Some here will say that you should not use EQ at all......but I do not buy into that view.

As far as I am concerned, since I do not have the money to keep buying different headphones until I find the one that sounds right to me(although my Grados are very close, they're not suited to every usage scenario), I use my EQ to compensate for the shortcomings of whichever headphones I am using, and my ears, which have trouble with certain frequencies.

The Rockbox EQ, once you figure it out, is an amazing tool that can do wonders...but yes, there is a learning curve involved. But I now can get the right sound from any of my various headphones, which all have different sound signatures. It takes some time to experiment, with the albums that you know best, but it's a worthy endeavor.....that said, it's easy to over-EQ and end up with an un-natural sound, too.

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 42

Quote:

The Rockbox EQ, once you figure it out, is an amazing tool...

Thannks for your reply.  It is the figuring out that I am confused about....where do I start.   Do I start with the low frequencies then move up or is it the other way around?  when do I bring in crossfeed/soundstage/etc? When increasing bass do I automatically need to make some compensation for mids/treble?  Or do I just play around, in no particular order, and disregarding any potential/conflicting interdependencies between different sound options?

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #35 of 42
I think you are starting at the wrong place. First you need to isolate the approximate frequencies that you want to change. Listen to an album you know well with the EQ off. Find out exactly what you'd like to hear more or less of. For example more bass and less treble.

Adjust the 60Hz band up a few db and the 12000Hz band down a few db. If that didn't do it, try adjusting the frequencies of those bands higher or lower. That's the beauty of the Rockbox EQ. You can adjust the frequency of each band.

With the other options like crossfeed and stereo width, I would not use them unless it's obviously apparent that you need them. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try. For 95% of my music, those options are not needed.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #37 of 42
Do what you need to do to get it right, but then it shouldn't be necessary to change it. For me, EQ is a tool to get a flat response. If your headphone has a spike in the mids, use EQ to take it out and leave it.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 42
Ive tried to eq it to sound just the way i want. Then i turned off the eq after hours of messing with it. I realized that my eq settings made the sound almost exactly the same. So now i just keep them off except a little added treble (+3db)

May 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #40 of 42
Ipod 60gb -> Fiio LOD -> Fiio e5 (no bass boost) -> Phonak PFE (w/GREY FILTERS) [silicon tips]

[size=11pt]Channel configuration: custom[/size]
[size=11pt]Stereo Width: 120%[/size]

[size=11pt]Crossfeed:[/size]
[size=11pt]1.Crossfeed: Enabled[/size]
[size=11pt]2.Direct Gain: -1.5 dB[/size]
[size=11pt]3.Cross Gain: -6.5 dB[/size]
[size=11pt]4.High Frequency Attenuation: -8.5dB[/size]
[size=11pt]5.High-Frequency Cutoff: 1100 hz[/size]

[size=11pt]Equalizer:[/size]
[size=11pt]Enable Equalizer: Yes[/size]
[size=11pt]Graphical Eq:[/size]
[size=11pt]1.  1.5dB       90Hz     0.7Q[/size]
[size=11pt]2.  1.5dB         70Hz     0.8Q [/size]
[size=11pt]3. 0db 1400 1Q[/size]
[size=11pt]4. -4.0dB     8040Hz     2.0Q[/size]
[size=11pt]5. -1.0dB       180Hz     1Q <----The 180Hz is not a typo. Make sure the 5th band is identical to this[/size]
[size=11pt]Precut: -3.5dB [/size]

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #41 of 42
Sansa Fuze V2 (RB w/LOD patch) -> FiiO LOD -> NuForce Icon Mobile (low gain) -> MEElectronics A151 (Comply T100's)

Used this table to set-up my Rockbox EQ settings....http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Really helped me difine a sensible 5-level EQ scheme. Here's my settings...

Low Shelf Filter:
   Cut-off = 60Hz
   Q = 0.7
   Gain = 0.0 dB
Peak Filter 1
   Center = 160Hz
   Q = 1.0
   Gain = 0.0 dB
Peak Filter 2
   Center = 1000Hz
   Q = 1.2
   Gain = -1.0 dB
Peak Filter 3
   Center = 4000Hz
   Q = 1.0
   Gain = -1.0 dB
High Shelf Filter:
   Cut-off = 12,000Hz
   Q = 0.7
   Gain = 0.5 dB

I keep base and treble flat (0 db), and adjust "Gain" on the Graphic Equalizer to get the right amount of low's, mid's and high's for any set-up.

Rest of my Sound Settings:

Chanel Configuration = Custom
Stero Width = 120%  (have tried higher, but won't go above 150%)
Crossfeed = Yes
   Direct Gain = -3 dB
   Cross Gain = -7.5 dB
   HF Attenuation = -15.0 dB
   HF Cut-off = 1300Hz
Dithering = Yes
Time stretch = No
Compressor Threshold = off
   Make-up Gain = off
   Ratio = 6.1 (don't think this matters when threshold is 'off')
   Knee = Soft (don't think this matters when threshold is 'off')
   Release time = 700ms (don't think this matters when threshold is 'off')

My Crossfeed settings are in the middle of the adjustment range.  Crossfeed is supposed to help iems sound more like "open air" listening in which the left ear can hear sounds from the right channel and vice versa.  Should reduce fatigue and produce  more natural sound.

So far so good, love the sound over default firmware.

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 42
HI guys i am using DAC XduooX3 + AKG Y50

with rockbox settings

Channel Configuration: Custom
-------------------------------
Stereo Width: 150%
-------------------------------
Crossfeed: Yes
Direct Gain: -4.5 dB
Cross Gain: -7.5 dB
High Frequency Attenuation: -18 dB
High Frequency Cutoff: 1100 Hz