What are your music sources?
Mar 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

drew8mc

Head-Fier
Not what you play your music on, but the places you go (real or online) that you find out about new music. I must say that I feel a little bit out of the loop recently and there is lots of great new music out there that I need to be exploring.

I'm someone who's tastes have broadened considerably in the past few years and now find myself listening to stuff I never would have considered.

Since I started this thread I'll start with one of my sources. I've gotten really into Brazilian music lately. Both classic bosa nova stuff as well as more recent electronic stuff.

www.dustygroove.com

These guys have a good collection of stuff from Brazil as well as some obscure jazz and soul.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbybunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I'm a big fan of Rhapsody. For 10-15$/month you get all of the music you can handle. And it's legal!

I forgot about this one! Rhapsody is pretty cool. I just do the free thing where you get 25 free plays a month
tongue.gif
But it's good enough for trying a couple albums to see if you like them.

Can't forget about your local library system either
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.metacritic.com

www.allmusic.com

www.tinymixtapes.com

www.pitchforkmedia.com

And of course, friends over everything else.

I got to all the above plus www.popmatters.com, www.cokemachineglow.com, www.slantmagazine.com, and www.stylusmagazine.com.

I subscribe to Urb, which is my absolute favorite music source above all else, and Filter.

Every Sunday or Monday, I view the Best Buy new release lists and sample what I am interested in via Myspace or www.downloads.com, before my Tuesday trip to BB.

Occasionally at work, I listen to Pandora radio.

On head-fi, I lurk the WAYLTNV thread hardcore.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 24
To be honest... I miss just going to Tower and listening to everything they had on the display players. An FYE moved into the one in downtown philly and it's just sad in there now. They have no selection and the people don't know a thing about music. I don't miss their prices though.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 24
Pandora.com is an excellent way to find new artists. Usually, after a couple of hours of listening to Pandora, I'll have at least a couple of new artists to explore.

I used to read pitchforkmedia.com, until I finally figured out that the only music they'll ever review positively is ultra-experimental folksy shoegazing noisepop screeching annoyance. If it doesn't attempt to redefine the entire concept of music as we know it, with hideous consequences, they won't say anything good about it. I find about 90% of their top choices to be essentially un-listenable. I have, however, found a half dozen gems there.

Really, though... the honest truth is that I mainly just go browse the newsgroups on Usenet. (And then I promptly say twenty Hail Mary's and drop $200 at local record shop to beg for redemption.)

- Warren

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 24
Here. I've found great music in this forum; it's an excellent resource.

I browse Pitchfork now and then, but don't always agree with their assessment of music.

Also, I find a lot of new jazz from the radio. We in Los Angeles are blessed with 88.1FM, KKJZ. I've only been into jazz for a year, so I'm constantly discovering new works and artists there.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 24
myspace. seriously, i love browsing band pages and listening to their posted songs. i've discovered a lot of bands by clicking on their pages through band sites that was already a fan of.

i also get stuck on different record labels. if i really fall in love with a band, i'll check out their label and the other signed bands.

www.metal-observer.com... for you metal heads. big archive.

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 24
I really like metacritic.

Almost everything I download first before I buy it. If I like it I buy it eventually.

Concerts are a big way too. Id say my number one way of learning about music is the Bonnaroo Music Festival, which I went to for the past 5 years. I would just download albums from all the bands that were there, often becoming a fan of many of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back