What are your dream headphones?
Apr 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #17 of 33
stax sr007 but it will forever remain a dream because price of energizer amp, have to baby it from dust etc, and possible channel imbalance issue on headphone with only 1 yr warranty ...:sweat:

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #19 of 33
3213BA96-BCC8-4D73-AADE-5826C2907BAE.jpeg
2CE4EB74-2351-4F3C-AA4A-48418ED2E9DA.jpeg
8E775829-1A11-4505-A013-7A44DC419304.jpeg

I guess I already have my dreams? Sony IER-Z1R, Sony MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 plus Noble Audio Kaiser 10 Encore.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #20 of 33
Probably Sony IER-Z1R, but I think I’m okay if I never get them. Too much good stuff out there.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #21 of 33
Abyss 1266TC
64 Audio u12t

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #22 of 33
Abyss 1266 TC, dreams do come true.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #23 of 33
From watching some video's from zreviews about tube amps I've learned that it's more about the journey than the destination. I'm on the start of my headphone journey but have the can's I've wanted from the start, 6xx, in the mail. Not a high goal but I've craved them since getting into the hobby. After that if I still have a need, I'll get advice for the next step and that will be my new dream set.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 33
From watching some video's from zreviews about tube amps I've learned that it's more about the journey than the destination. I'm on the start of my headphone journey but have the can's I've wanted from the start, 6xx, in the mail. Not a high goal but I've craved them since getting into the hobby. After that if I still have a need, I'll get advice for the next step and that will be my new dream set.

It really is a long journey. To think back my first audiophile set-up with headphones was 1982. In 1976 I got my first taste of early Sennheiser open-backs and Koss closed-backs.

The main thing is if you don’t hear anything better your mind can actually adapt to enjoy what you own. It’s like you don’t know what you don’t know. Speaking of tube amps, I had as my only system a 1960s Scott integrated amplifier and Sony MDR CD-870 from 1996-2006. Though going back and listening they definitely were missing a lot.

DC2697E0-D0E7-4A2F-A91B-8C100F9E33CB.jpeg

It’s kind of finding a balance of everything in the tone you like. If you go to a Head-Fi meet you will hear many styles of what people think is perfection. Some tube amps create way too much distortion, some create close to none. But the learning is also trying out old gear you used to like. Hindsight is 20/20 and it’s actually fairly startling when you go back and try gear you liked 10 years ago. But because all you had heard was that level (at the time) you don’t aspire to change.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 33
It really is a long journey. To think back my first audiophile set-up with headphones was 1982. In 1976 I got my first taste of early Sennheiser open-backs and Koss closed-backs.

The main thing is if you don’t hear anything better your mind can actually adapt to enjoy what you own. It’s like you don’t know what you don’t know. Speaking of tube amps, I had as my only system a 1960s Scott integrated amplifier and Sony CD MDR-870 from 1996-2006. Though going back and listening they definitely were missing a lot.

It’s kind of finding a balance of everything in the tone you like. If you go to a Head-Fi meet you will hear many styles of what people think is perfection. Some tube amps create way too much distortion, some create close to none. But the learning is also trying out old gear you used to like. Hindsight is 20/20 and it’s actually fairly startling when you go back and try gear you liked 10 years ago. But because all you had heard was that level (at the time) you don’t aspire to change.

Yeah, looking back you can easily recognize what you didn't know at the time. But I think there is a certain amount of peace involved with learning to enjoy what you have, otherwise you're always looking for something better. I just dug out my class A tube amp and got it to work, hooked up my blue lola's and listened to some old hip-hop from 20+ years ago. The sound quality was horrible due to my improper setup but it reminded me that I've always loved music. Back when I was 10-15 riding around all over the place with my parent's and my sister I had a walk-man then a disc-man and nothing more than some cheap cheap cheap headphones but that was all that I needed to be honest. I would listen to the same tracks over and over and had my head pressed into those earphones for countless hours. My improperly set up "hifi" system let me reimagine those day's and I think that's entirely worth it.

Again, my first ever "hifi" experience was a pair of $60 sennheiser's 15+ years again on that old disc-man and I could hardly contain myself at what I was hearing, nothing like it had entered my life before. Yes I had experience with various speakers and sub-woofers in my car so I knew there were gains and changes to be had, but I was blown away. After this I became obsessed and got a pair of klipsch vf-36 floor standing speakers and went from there, I hooked them up to my ~1997 receiver and piece by piece I built what I have today, which if I might say is a beautiful experience. I have moved over to can's for a while since my stereo is complete and 2.5 years after going "head-fi" I'm getting back into the experience.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #26 of 33
Yeah, looking back you can easily recognize what you didn't know at the time. But I think there is a certain amount of peace involved with learning to enjoy what you have, otherwise you're always looking for something better. I just dug out my class A tube amp and got it to work, hooked up my blue lola's and listened to some old hip-hop from 20+ years ago. The sound quality was horrible due to my improper setup but it reminded me that I've always loved music. Back when I was 10-15 riding around all over the place with my parent's and my sister I had a walk-man then a disc-man and nothing more than some cheap cheap cheap headphones but that was all that I needed to be honest. I would listen to the same tracks over and over and had my head pressed into those earphones for countless hours. My improperly set up "hifi" system let me reimagine those day's and I think that's entirely worth it.

Again, my first ever "hifi" experience was a pair of $60 sennheiser's 15+ years again on that old disc-man and I could hardly contain myself at what I was hearing, nothing like it had entered my life before. Yes I had experience with various speakers and sub-woofers in my car so I knew there were gains and changes to be had, but I was blown away. After this I became obsessed and got a pair of klipsch vf-36 floor standing speakers and went from there, I hooked them up to my ~1997 receiver and piece by piece I built what I have today, which if I might say is a beautiful experience. I have moved over to can's for a while since my stereo is complete and 2.5 years after going "head-fi" I'm getting back into the experience.

It’s hard to imagine but there could be a person in a room at this very moment listening to a $250,000 home 2 channel system and be questioning the ability; or speculating something like s wrong. That’s the ism.

But it is all emotional if someone is smitten with their gear? Even the best of gear gets questioned. And while there are total distinct levels of detail or loved garish levels of color; it’s all subjective. The best we can hope for is to be grateful for whatever we own.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #27 of 33
I forgot the model but I may in the future get that $1000 Beyerdynamic headphone someday.

The reason is because people are saying that it’s very comfortable and very non fatiguing.

These days, I seem to prefer comfort as a higher priority over actual sound quality. Basically an after work relaxation type of listening without analyzing sound

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #28 of 33
Since I love my HE6SE so much, the Susvara becomes a natural choice for my dream headphone and probably which will end my HP journey before I embark on a more perilious 2 channel stereo journey.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 33
HD800s, but I dont know why universe has always conspired to keep me away from them!! :rolling_eyes:

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 33
For now, I'm done w/ in ear headphones. End of game is real. (3) flagship sets are more than enough. (1) creamy, (1) regular, (1) hot & spicy on regular rotation.
A dap upgrade should be up next.
But I fancy a pair of this and a woo amp to power them.
I prefer a medium stain finish, a cherry perhaps...
1632644218796.png

(not my photo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back