what are you playing when trying headphones - first-time-listen question
Oct 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Somebaudy

New Head-Fier
I hope I'm not running out too fast of newbie-credit with this one : when trying potential or brand new headphones is there a song, a classical music piece or something else that is recognized as suitable for the first-time-listening experience. Do you have reference songs to judge that bass/medium/trebble quality in a headphone you've never listened to before ?

I think Dire Straits was used a lot by music equipment salesmen in the eighties. Has another artist replaced them as a must int "first-time-listen" experience. 

Just to be clear : I'm not asking what your favorite song is.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 8
I have several. Alice in Chains MTv Unplugged is one of the best live recording ever made and great to give a first listen with. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 8
I think as important as the objective test properties of the "demo" track is how familiar the listener is with it. With any new equipment I always use the tracks which I know back to front, every note and every sound - that way I'm able to detect very quickly how it impacts the sound. 

MattTCG - I'm not picking on you, but for the argument's sake I could play Alice in Chains on a new equipment and for me that would be pointless as being only vaguely familiar with their stuff I wouldn't know if I'm hearing the equipment or the recording.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 8
I have Jazz recording that I like to use also Diana Krall Live in Paris. I tend to lean towards the live recording because they aren't overproduced and can be more natural sounding.

Oddly, I'm not really an AIC fan. That recording is special though. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Agree that live recordings are particularly good for that purpose. The AIC live album seems to gather a lot of recommendations here, so I'll take that as a hint. 
The live stuff I reach for when testing new equipment includes:

Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Chuck Mangione - Live At The Hollywood Bowl
Di Meola / De Lucia/ Mc Laughlin - Friday Night in San Francisco
Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Deep Purple - Total Abandon

Some studio recordings are absolute masterpieces of sound engineering and I find good to test the dynamics, resolution, sound layering and instrument separation:

Roger Waters - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
Rush - Moving Pictures
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 8
I love Jazz at the Pawnshop!! One of my favorites. You have a few one here that I've not heard, so I'll be firing up the music streamer to give them a listen now. 

thanks...Matt

The reason that the AIC is so good, the acoustic guitar is reproduced so lifelike it's just amazing. You can hear every detail and the bass line has some of the best texture and impact of any recording I've heard. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back