What Are You Listening To RIGHT NOW?
Oct 17, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #798 of 1,005
British Sea Power's Classic THE DECLINE of BRITISH SEA POWER

At least that's how it is labeled on the cover and it has become almost a modern classic with me over the last few weeks. Some Joy Division mixed with some David Bowie and Echo & The Bunnymen. Maybe add some of the literary historical references to the music that has garnered much critical acclaim for the Decemberists recently. Whatever, I like this one a lot and have been playing it endlessly. Lots of great guitar parts and the singer does sound kind of like Ian Curtis at times. At other times maybe a little like Bowie. And even a touch of David Thomas of Pere Ubu fame (well, I guess Pere Ubu and fame don't have a lot in common :)). But the music is still unique. And fun. And powerful. And emotional. And not full of the usual British overwrought wankery even though their name is kinda self-indulgent and silly :)

B0000BXMZP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oct 17, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #801 of 1,005
Sure, I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One is the album that seems to get all the attention, but to me the preceding Electr-o-pura is the one that showed everyone that was paying attention in 1995 that this is the band that is gonna win your heart and stand out as one of the most inspired of the 90s. Blue Line Swinger. That's really all you need to know. A blissful 9 minutes and 19 seconds of everything that is good about music. Gradually building atop the atmospheric opening organ with layers of guitar distortion and clattering drums until finally all coming together at about four and a half minutes in when Georgia begins gently singing of love and doubt, and then about a minute later Ira's guitar takes over for a blistering few minutes of jamming until Georgia comes back in towards the end for another verse, her comforting voice juxtaposed against the squalling guitars in the background until the ba ba ba ba ba finale and perfect ending with everybody stopping on cue, reverberations slowly dying. Even after over 9 minutes it always seems to leave me just a little hungry for more, so I play it a few more times. Maybe all afternoon.The best closer in modern music. The definition of sublime. My nomination for song of the 90s.

Out of darkness
You will come around
I know you will
I know you will
And I'll find you
And I'll find you there
And I'll ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ....

And what album has a cooler back cover with a fun description of each song? Just a note for the uninitiated: ignore the track times ....

electropura.jpg

Oct 18, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #804 of 1,005
Handel's Messiah
Sir Tohomas Beecham and the Royal Philharmonic
4 LP Boxed set on RCA Red Seal
Perfect condition curtesy of Oxfam

I keep having to turn the amp down as this set has some amazing variations in volume and my partner and child are asleep. Hmm maybe I need some closed back cans to go with these HD600s .. bad thought, naughty thought stop it now justs turn it down, you need a new turntable more ....

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back