What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 11, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #137,598 of 139,159
I know I just posted a song but these two just come up on the radio and I know some of you guys will like them, they're happy songs

For an experience of brilliant sound, it's hard to beat ABC's 'The Lexicon of Love' and Trevor Horne's amazing production. This is an audiophile quality record....

Jun 11, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #137,599 of 139,159
For an experience of brilliant sound, it's hard to beat ABC's 'The Lexicon of Love' and Trevor Horne's amazing production. This is an audiophile quality record....
Very well said! Still using it for testing Audiophile gear. A very special sound that does not fare well with mediocre stereo systems. Just avoid the last mastering - it is compressed like hell. The 97/99 remaster sounds best.
JAP.jpg

These British intellectuals emerging from the working class done great things in the 80's. Another example is Spandau Ballet.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #137,600 of 139,159
Here's a band called Firewater, from NYC, I was not familiar with before; a friend turned me on to them just yesterday; they were going from the late 90's through 2013 or so. This is from 2001. They were formed by Tod A, formerly of Cop Shoot Cop. A little hard to describe, but I might start with prog-garage with sitars and tablas thrown in and excellent songwriting and melodies. I'm gonna get all their albums.

Jun 11, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #137,601 of 139,159
Very well said! Still using it for testing Audiophile gear. A very special sound that does not fare well with mediocre stereo systems.
These British intellectuals emerging from the working class done great things in the 80's. Another example is Spandau Ballet.
Yeah, the Spandaus were a fine outfit indeed. I think my favorite band of the electropop genre is a relatively obscure band called B-Movie. They put out a bunch of EP's and 1 album back in the early 80's, and reformed this century and put out a couple of more albums. Their debut (released on CD in the US as 'The Platinum Collection', an ironic title if there ever was one, which contained the sorta hits 'Nowhere Girl/Remembrance Day'. But every song on it is superb....

Jun 11, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #137,602 of 139,159
I bought that album when I was a kid, just from seeing the cover, my friend made fun off me as one of the tracks is very light and nothing much happens, but I liked it, still do.

This song just popped into my head, well ok I was just reading about Ruby iem's,

The Kaisers were my favorite band from 2005 when their debut, 'Entertainment' came out until their album 'Come Together', which was a rather ill-advised attempt at making a 'contemporary pop' album. Great songs and melodies and witty, cheeky lyrics....

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #137,606 of 139,159
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East 1971
Allman Brothers Live Fillmore.jpg

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #137,607 of 139,159
The Kaisers were my favorite band from 2005 when their debut, 'Entertainment' came out until their album 'Come Together', which was a rather ill-advised attempt at making a 'contemporary pop' album. Great songs and melodies and witty, cheeky lyrics....

I didn't expect you to say that , thought they were a little known band with one or two hits.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #137,608 of 139,159
I didn't expect you to say that , thought they were a little known band with one or two hits.
Far from it - the cheeky chappies were headlining festivals (they're from Leeds, and they've sold out the stadium where Leeds Utd football team plays) for awhile and had lots of hits over lots of albums and just put out a new one earlier this year.
Good place to start for hearing them are their first and second albums, "Entertainment!" and "Your's Truly, Angry Mob". The final song on the latter is called 'Retirement', a subject not often approached by rock bands, but the one by these Yorkshiremen is awesome and should be played at retirement parties like 'Happy Birthday' is sung at birthday parties... I had it played at mine in 2013.
BTW, they took their name from a South African football club called the Kaizer Chiefs, as one of their favorite players from Leeds Utd came from that club.

Jun 11, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #137,609 of 139,159
Jun 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #137,610 of 139,159
Far from it - the cheeky chappies were headlining festivals (they're from Leeds, and they've sold out the stadium where Leeds Utd football team plays) for awhile and had lots of hits over lots of albums and just put out a new one earlier this year.
Good place to start for hearing them are their first and second albums, "Entertainment!" and "Your's Truly, Angry Mob". The final song on the latter is called 'Retirement', a subject not often approached by rock bands, but the one by these Yorkshiremen is awesome and should be played at retirement parties like 'Happy Birthday' is sung at birthday parties... I had it played at mine in 2013.
BTW, they took their name from a South African football club called the Kaizer Chiefs, as one of their favorite players from Leeds Utd came from that club.

Their debut album was called Employment wasn’t it, not Entertainment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back