What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #51,843 of 136,263
Listening to this as part of the weekly rotation on "Album Club" over at The Art of Sound community

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #51,849 of 136,263

Norah Jones - She's 22

She has that unbelievable voice and it's just so cool to see her playing that Gibson SG instead of piano. I have her album "Little Broken Hearts" in 88.2 / 24 FLAC, but this video actually sounds pretty close. It's probably my favorite female vocal performance of the last two years.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #51,852 of 136,263
Its lovely and sunny over here in the Emerald Isle. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #51,853 of 136,263
Pasquale RicciSix Symphonies Op. II, nos. 1-5
Atalanta Fugiens/Vanni Moretto

Arnold BaxPiano Sonata No. 3 in G sharp minor
Michael Endres, piano

Frank BridgeString Quartet No. 3 
Maggini Quartet

Frank BridgePiano Trio No. 2
Jack Liebeck, violin
Alexander Chaushian, cello
Ashely Wass, piano

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #51,854 of 136,263
  Just started utilizing Pandora Radio (since I'm away from my personal library and had a sudden desire to discover new artists/songs), and found the music of Wayne Shorter. I'm really digging the tune, Teru. Going to listen to the rest of the album when I can.

Good call! I've heard him as a sideman on a fair number of recordings...but nothing that he put out under his name...great player...

I've been listening to Max Roach's We Insist and Percussion Bitter Sweet from 1960-61. These are civil rights/protest jazz albums that are stunning and given the nature of the material make them quite unique in the history of jazz. Abbey Lincoln handles lyrics (unusual for Roach to use vocals) and Coleman Hawkins contributes.

Percussion Bitter Sweet-also features Abbey Lincoln and Eric Dolphy contribute.

The jazz is great-there is a definite African/spriual influence that gives the music a "world music" feel and it reminds me how these great African American artists many of us enjoy in the 50's and 60's lived in oppressive times.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #51,855 of 136,263
  Just started utilizing Pandora Radio (since I'm away from my personal library and had a sudden desire to discover new artists/songs), and found the music of Wayne Shorter. I'm really digging the tune, Teru. Going to listen to the rest of the album when I can.

The Music Matters 45rpm 2LP of "Adam's Apple" has been on my wish list for a while now. Have yet to pull the trigger on it. "Juju" is like a drug; once you hear it once, you're forever addicted. "Speak No Evil" is also a jazz essential.

AVTechNO! - AVTechNO! Collection Thank you pack!​

Two and a half hours of eargasmic delight of the highest order from one of my top-ten artists of all time. Even the jingles AVTechNO! made of his songs to be used as ringtones are enough to satisfy my auditory needs, so this 2-disc compilation is just Eden for me. AVTechNO!'s work touches my heart, in a truly special way.

Also, virtually all of these songs have been retouched or even practically redone just for this "Thank you" pack. How many people do that? Whenever AVTechNO! re-releases something, he goes back and revisits the song seeing how he can improve upon the previous iteration. That is true dedication. He is forever not satisfies with his work, and that's one of the big things that sets him apart. The perpetual drive to become better is an invaluable thing. If we are not constantly pushing ourselves, we grow a slave to our own habits and eventually everything becomes stale. Growth requires you to be looking both forward and back at the same time – knowing where you came for, where you are standing right now and where you are headed, and sometimes you must be willing to take a plunge into the unknown, because life isn't about trying to predict and plan everything, it's about feeling the flow and going with it, wherever it takes you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back