MachautSolagePycard and anonymous
Gothic Voices/Christopher Page

W. A. MozartString Quartet in B flat major, K. 458 'The Hunt'
Quatuor Mosaïques

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #48,363 of 136,548
02352.gif

BIG JOE MAHER & JEFF SARLI with BIG BLUE:
Mojo
Do you dig mellow '60s rhythm and blues grooves like Percy Mayfield or T-Bone? If so, Big Joe and his band will be right up your alley. Joe's a natural-born blues singer, as irresistibly laid back as Albert King. The band's got that Hammond organ groove down. The two saxes are raunchy and raw; the electric guitar moans and wails. Stereophile says "...such a cool disc...equal parts barrel-house jump-band and smooth swing...big, big sound." Highly recommended as one of the best-sounding blues/R&B discs ever, according to blues star Bob Margolin.  (#02352)
Joe Maher, vocals, drums 
Jeff Sarli, upright bass 
Rusty Bogart, electric guitar 
Bob Willoughby, piano 
Phil Stancil, B-3 organ, piano 
Chris Watling, bari sax 
Jerry Queene, tenor sax

TRACK LISTING:
GOT MY MOJO WORKIN' (Muddy Waters) Listen to Sample
WHO WILL THE NEXT FOOL BE? (Charlie Rich)
HEARTBREAKER (Ertegun and Charles)
IN THE DARK (Aaron "T-Bone" Walker)
VODKA ON THE ROCKS (Maher, Sarli, Bryant, Watling and Queene) Listen to Sample
HARD LIVIN' ALONE (Floyd Dixon)
WHEN DID YOU LEAVE HEAVEN? (Percy Mayfield) Listen to Full Song
PONYTAIL (Aaron "T-Bone" Walker)
TROUBLE IN MIND* (traditional)
WINGS 'N THINGS (Edward K. Ellington)
I DARE YOU, BABY (Percy Mayfield)
GOODBYE, BABY* (Big Joe Turner)
 *Bob Willoughby-Piano

REVIEWS:
Blues Review:
from the column Steady Rollin' by Bob Margolin
I'm excited that the relatively esoteric worlds of high-end audio recording and blues are meeting and getting along so well...you can enjoy the efforts of some of the "audiophile purist" releases that are starting to show up in the blues world. They sound beautiful and real on all but the cheapest boom-box or car stereo. One album that particularly impressed me recently isMojo (Wildchild!/Mapleshade 02352) by Big Joe Maher and Jeff Sarli and Big Blue, a powerful performance recorded with stunning clarity and space. It's a feast for the soul, and candy for the ears.
February/March 1996
mapleshade_line.jpg

Stereophile:
from QuarterNotes by Wes Phillips
Mojo is such a cool disc, I can't stand it. Big Joe, a drummer and singer, and Jeff Sarli, a swingin' string-bass player, have put together a band that's equal parts barrel-house jump-band and smooth swing band. The result will get you up off your butt „ if you've still got a pulse, that is. And bottom? Man, does this disc got bottom! Drive and air „ you can hear the walls bulging as they try to contain this big, big sound „ with a fat-back bottom. Did I mention that? This one may not grow hair (didn't on me anyway), but it'll definitely trim 10 years off your age.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #48,366 of 136,548

I refrained from posting when Mofro was brought up before, but now that this album was mentioned I'll say that I quite enjoy it. JJ Grey & Mofro get played fairly often on a local independent radio station.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #48,367 of 136,548
  I refrained from posting when Mofro was brought up before, but now that this album was mentioned I'll say that I quite enjoy it. JJ Grey & Mofro get played fairly often on a local independent radio station.

After the recent post, I just downloaded this one yesterday:

I've never heard them before, and I'm liking it quite a bit.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #48,368 of 136,548
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #48,375 of 136,548
You can buy each flac album individually for a total of about $60. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/a/-/2538/Quatuor-Mosa%25C3%25AFques/2
.You got that?  I am so jealous . . . . lol . . . guess I'll have to order it up.  But $186.00 the lowest price I could find!!!   YIKES . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back