with dream comfort memory despair
and in my mind i still need a place to go
all my changes were there

blue, blue windows behind the stars
yellow moon on the rise
big birds flying across the sky
throwin' shadows on our eyes
leave us

One of the most hotly awaited second albums in the history of whats now termed Classic Rock -- right up there with those by the Beatles and the Band -- Déjà Vu lived up to its expectations and rose to number one on the charts.

Those achievements are all the more astonishing given the fact that the group barely held together through the estimated 800 hours it took to record Déjà Vu and scarcely functioned as a group for most of that time. Déjà Vu worked as an album, a product of four potent musical talents who were all ascending to the top of their game coupled with some very skilled production, engineering, and editing.

There were also some obvious virtues in evidence with the addition of Stephen Stills's former Buffalo Springfield cohort/rival Neil Young augmenting the C.S.&N. threesome. Neil Youngs addition to the lineup added also to the groups level of virtuosity, with Young and Stephen Stills rising to new levels of complexity and volume on their guitars. Young's presence also ratcheted up the range of available voices one notch and added a uniquely idiosyncratic songwriter to the fold, though most of Young's contributions in this area were confined to the second side of the LP, where the exquisitely harmonized "Helpless" is recorded which is an all time personal favorite of mine.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #70 of 136,503
The question of favorite symphonies came up last night and I mentioned the Royal Fireworks.

Yeah the thought of it kept me from getting to sleep last night. So; right now...
600smile.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #72 of 136,503
"Cold Acre" - Augie March
Debate of Democratic Party's presidential candidates on ABCNews....
"Turnstile Blues" - Autolux
"Stanger Strange" - Augie March
"Citizen" - iLiKETRAiNS
"Over My Head" - Moonbabies
"Bummed Out City" - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
"Sing, Little Birdie"- Shearwater
"Gravity Rides Everything" - Modest Mouse
"Shade and Honey" - Sparklehorse

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #74 of 136,503
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Cold Acre" - Augie March

Hey, how ya like that new one? Think I mentioned it in that Architecture in Helsinki thread, but I've got "Moo, You Bloody Choir " on the way too. Should have it next week.

David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights - "Locked In Blue"

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #75 of 136,503
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, how ya like that new one? Think I mentioned it in that Architecture in Helsinki thread, but I've got "Moo, You Bloody Choir " on the way too. Should have it next week.

David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights - "Locked In Blue"

Love the new Augie March. I liked "Strange Bird" enough to buy the new one and I'm glad that I did. "Moo, You Bloody Choir" IMHO is the better album. I have read many interviews over time about the song writing process. There are song writers that write the music to words already written, and those that write the music first followed by the words. I'm sure that most musical artists do both. (I read an interesting article some time back where Sting discussed this process, he referenced composers from Beethoven to Elton John from Lennon/McCartney, to Jagger/Richards it was quite interesting) I have found that, if forced to make a choice, I favor music first, words second. My guess would be that Augie writes the words first. The words are skillfully written and thought provoking, but my impression on "Strange Bird" was that the music took a distant second place to the words. On "Moo, Your Bloody Choir," I sense the music being placed more in the foreground. I had a party at my home on Friday and played three or four songs from the new Augie March. Several people asked me "who is that?" I said, "It's a band called Augie March, a friend of mine named Davey got me into them!" I'm anxious to hear your opinion...

*Administrator* Do I have to place such a post with my daily "What Are You Listening To Now" post, or can discussion of a song mentioned in the daily post be discussed in a seperate post on the same day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back